Midweight Hair and Makeup Artist
Selfridges has always been much more than a shop. We’re a social space where everyone is welcome and feels a sense of belonging, a creative playground where culture and commerce collide, and an experimental hub where you can discover the most innovative and sustainable ideas in retail. We’re here to help make the world brighter. And you can be an important part of this. We’ll talk more about the role below, but before we get to that, let’s share with you the good stuff…
Rewards and benefits
Life at Selfridges is dynamic, exciting, and always evolving. As well as working with some of the most cutting-edge, iconic and boundary-pushing brands, designers and creatives, we also offer our team members opportunities to help make a positive difference through our network of communities, both within and outside Selfridges. Here are just a few of our rewards and benefits that help make our team experience that bit more extraordinary.
Flexible working options to benefit you, your family and your wellbeing that can include part-time, flexi-time, job sharing or hybrid working
Generous annual leave that increases with length of service
Up to five paid volunteering days – from beach cleans to co-ordinating food and clothing donations
Family leave that suits your set up including Maternity, Paternity, Adoption, Surrogacy and Shared Parental leave policies
Defined pension contribution scheme
Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
Enviable team member discount including sale previews and double discount days
Exclusive local discounts on a range of restaurants, bars, beauticians and entertainment
Subsidised gym memberships
Annual travel pass and cycle-to-work schemes
A sustainable car salary sacrifice scheme
Several internal communities to get involved in from our Diversity Board and Green Warriors who are leading the charge on D,E&I and sustainability, to the Wellbeings who are always thinking of new ways to champion healthy minds, bodies and routines for our team members
Workplace Options, our confidential team member assistance programme for when life gets tricky or you need a little guidance
Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development
Read on to find out how you can play your part in Reinventing Retail…
- Maintain and encourage a positive ‘can do’ atmosphere in the studios which is conducive to high production levels and excellent quality of work.
- Flexible and strong ‘all-rounder’ qualities.
- Attention to detail is crucial in order to maintain visual quality and consistency across all images taken for the website.
- Working simultaneously across 1-2 models per day.
- To ensure excellent knowledge of the Selfridges Style Guides to best execute the brand vision
- Collaborate on a daily basis with Art Director, Photographer and Stylist to produce imagery
- Work on daily direction in line with the seasonal Selfridges hair and makeup guides
- Strong awareness and knowledge of trends and how these can be interpreted through the Selfridges Creative vision
- Draw inspiration from a variety of fashion media to influence styling ideas, helping the Selfridges website remain fresh and forward thinking.
- Working with Senior Hair & Makeup Artist on the update of Selfridges Hair and Makeup style guides
- Maintain efficiencies within the studios.
- Brief freelance members of the hair and makeup team on daily direction.
- Work continuously with peers to implement changes in order to improve studio efficiencies or shoot imagery.
- Work reactively on set, problem solving and showing initiative in a fast paced studio environment
- Maintain a tidy workspace and work alongside colleagues to tidy area before the following day
- Share knowledge with other members of the team, supportive in team development.
The Ideal Candidate
This role requires a person with excellent hair styling technique and makeup artistry, a very strong creative visual focus, as well as possessing strong organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Experience in both mens and womens hair and makeup, including cutting and/or barbering skills
- Salon, e-commerce and editorial experience is a must
- Experienced and competent working with all hair types including braiding
- Experienced and competent working with all skin tones
- BTEC National Diploma Hair Level 2 and/or BTEC National Diploma Makeup Level 3
- Good communication skills and able to give and take direction
- Strong fashion and trend knowledge
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong organisation skills, with a pro-active ‘can do’ attitude
- Manual handling
- Good time management within a busy and pressured environment
NB. A portfolio of creative work will be required on application. A website and social page can be additional. At the final stage of interviews a practical trial will be required.
About the Company
Everyone is welcome
Selfridges is a place where we want everyone to feel a sense of belonging. We embrace every self and are committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive working culture. We are leading with purpose to not only increase the visibility and recognition of under-represented talent within our organisation, but the wider industry too. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome – irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign. We were also recognised as a ‘Best 25 Big Company to Work For 2020’ as awarded by The Sunday Times.