Visual Merchandiser- Stylist
Selfridges has always been much more than a shop. We’re a social space where everyone is welcome and feels a sense of belonging, a creative playground where culture and commerce collide, and an experimental hub where you can discover the most innovative and sustainable ideas in retail. We’re here to help make the world brighter. And you can be an important part of this. We’ll talk more about the role below, but before we get to that, let’s share with you the good stuff…
Rewards and benefits
Life at Selfridges is dynamic, exciting, and always evolving. As well as working with some of the most cutting-edge, iconic and boundary-pushing brands, designers and creatives, we also offer our team members opportunities to help make a positive difference through our network of communities, both within and outside Selfridges. Here are just a few of our rewards and benefits that help make our team experience that bit more extraordinary.
Flexible working options to benefit you, your family and your wellbeing that can include part-time, flexi-time, job sharing or working remotely
Generous annual leave that increases with length of service
Up to five paid volunteering days – from beach cleans to co-ordinating food and clothing donations
Family leave that suits your set up including Maternity, Paternity, Adoption, Surrogacy and Shared Parental leave policies
Defined pension contribution scheme
Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
Enviable team member discount including sale previews and double discount days
Exclusive local discounts on a range of restaurants, bars, beauticians and entertainment
Subsidised gym memberships
Annual travel pass and cycle-to-work schemes
A sustainable car salary sacrifice scheme
Several internal communities to get involved in from our Diversity Board and Green Warriors who are leading the charge on D,E&I and sustainability, to the Wellbeings who are always thinking of new ways to champion healthy minds, bodies and routines for our team members
Workplace Options, our confidential team member assistance programme for when life gets tricky or you need a little guidance
Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development
Read on to find out how you can play your part in Reinventing Retail…
Assisting with the VM styling of your area. You’ll also assist with product presentation and the setting and agreeing of standards and benchmarks against competitors. Proactively involved in implementing themed installations within your departments, working within a close knit cross-functional team that is able to ‘Own It & Deliver’. You’ll work with the rest of the Visual Merchandising team and the Retail Operations team to build on their understanding of merchandising standards and maintenance.
- You’ll also work closely with key contacts in Buying & Merchandising and Retail Operations to agree brand adjacency and product layouts in order to maximise sales potential, supported by the Senior Visual Merchandiser.
- You’ll regularly perform comparative ‘shops’ of new and inspirational places to maintain an understanding and awareness of competition, direction and key brands.
- You will be a good representative of the Visual department.
- Consider both the internal and external customer in all activities, including department layout, merchandising and presentation.
- Maintain all vinyl signage and branding; including ordering, installation and delivering consistent standards.
- Perform floor walks each morning to check and maintain basic recovery standards and make sure that actions are carried out prior to store opening.
- Assist and support the Senior Visual Merchandiser and your line manager in communicating standards and guidelines.
- Ensure your area is organised so it runs effectively and efficiently.
- Demonstrate good standards in the Visual studio and storage areas and with fixtures and tool kits.
- Comply with our Health & Safety standards, policies and procedures and ‘Show & Earn Respect’ to your tools, equipment and environment.
- You must also work to our company policies and procedures, e.g. absences, time, attendance and holidays, et
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience in Styling
- Experience within a wide variety of styling techniques across all types of wear, including but not limited to, fitting and technical knowledge.
- Attention to detail is crucial when styling, maintaining a consistently high quality of imagery is essential.
- A great communicator. You will be able to positively engage with a range of stakeholders with varying needs and requirements
- Well Informed. You will develop excellent product knowledge by following trends and being aware of our competitor’s activity, along with taking part in supplier training
- Creative/Art background would be an advantage
- Retail Operations experience
- Good planning and organising skills
- Creative understanding and the ability to translate this into practical solutions
- The ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Good communication skills
- A ‘Pacey & Positive’ working attitude and the ability to inspire it in those around you
- An example of our values, a trusted and respected colleague
About the Company
Everyone is welcome
Selfridges is a place where we want everyone to feel a sense of belonging. We embrace every self and are committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive working culture. We are leading with purpose to not only increase the visibility and recognition of under-represented talent within our organisation, but the wider industry too. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome – irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign. We were also recognised as a ‘Best 25 Big Company to Work For 2020’ as awarded by The Sunday Times.