Technical Manager - Food Safety
As the Technical Manager- Food Safety, you will have overall responsibility for driving the delivery of the highest food safety and quality standards in all food and restaurant areas across all 4 stores (London, Birmingham, Trafford and Exchange and the distribution center at Hams Hall).
As Technical Manager – Food Safety you will:
- Have extensive experience in maintaining Food Safety and Hygiene standards across a multidisciplinary function including retail and hospitality,
- Champion and lead Governance and Risk Management for all things Food Safety: including research and monitoring emerging issues through horizon scanning.
- Oversee, direct, develop and continuously review food safety standards across all stores ensuring all areas are compliant with EU and UK regulations.
- Ensure the Food Safety and Quality Management System for our OB areas reflects the operations in store including managing the multi-disciplinary HACCP team.
- Manage and maintain Supplier Assurance of Concessions partners for High-Risk Prepared Food (Restaurant and Eateries Focused).
- Be the first point of contact for Law Enforcement Agencies (e.g. EHO, Trading Standards, Food Standards Agency and UK Health Security Agency).
- Be responsible for delivery of Food Technical third-party supplier contracts, working with our legal team to establish robust service level agreements.
- Investigate route course analysis and make recommendations to prevent recurrence in the event of an incident/accident or critical non-conformance.
- Be the first point of contact for internal key stakeholders to ensure legislative compliance when developing immersive retail destinations for our Foodhalls and restaurants.
- Write and publish monthly Business Reviews and quarterly RMC reports for the exec & senior leadership teams to highlight current and emerging risk and relevant corrective actions. You will also lead the face-to-face discussion meetings.
- Fully accountable for the monthly/yearly P&L including Managing, monitoring and review resources.
- Support the building of a sustainable and circular future by ensuring a robust supplier assurance and product approval process to deliver compliant, yet innovative ranges.
The Ideal Candidate
- Organised and proactive. You are able to multi-task, prioritise and work to tight deadlines, whilst maintaining excellent attention to detail.
- A strong leader and developer of people, managing and monitoring their performance.
- A problem solver. You are able to apply different ways of thinking in different situations.
- A great communicator, both verbal and written. You excel in the relationships you build with stakeholders, able to work across various teams; maintaining an effective communication process along the way.
- Able to work autonomously with strong time management discipline.
- You are analytical and results driven, able to use data, spot trends, measure performance and identify areas of improvement.
- Experienced within the Food industry across a multidisciplinary businesses.
- A member of Industry working groups (e.g. CIEH, FDF, FSA, Campden BRI)
- A holder of;
- A Degree in Food Science, Environmental Health or related discipline
- Level 4 HACCP
- Trained lead auditor
- Trained train the trainer
- An example of our values, a trusted and respected colleague
•This guide represents a summary of the role, however all team members are expected to be flexible in the work they undertake, which may change from time to time, according to the needs of the business
About the Company
Rewards and benefits
Here are just a few of our rewards and benefits that help make our team experience that bit more extraordinary.
Flexible working options to benefit you, your family and your wellbeing that can include part-time, flexi-time, job sharing or hybrid working
Generous annual leave that increases with length of service
Up to five paid volunteering days – from beach cleans to co-ordinating food and clothing donations
Family leave that suits your set up including Maternity, Paternity, Adoption, Surrogacy and Shared Parental leave policies
Defined pension contribution scheme
Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
Enviable team member discount including sale previews and double discount days
Exclusive local discounts on a range of restaurants, bars, beauticians and entertainment
Subsidised gym memberships
A sustainable car salary sacrifice scheme (subject to eligibility criteria)
Several internal communities to get involved in from our Diversity Board and Green Warriors who are leading the charge on D,E&I and sustainability, to the Wellbeings who are always thinking of new ways to champion healthy minds, bodies and routines for our team members
Workplace Options, our confidential team member assistance programme for when life gets tricky or you need a little guidance
Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development
Read on to find out how you can play your part in Reinventing Retail…
Everyone is welcome
Selfridges is a place where we want everyone to feel a sense of belonging. We embrace every self and are committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive working culture. We are leading with purpose to not only increase the visibility and recognition of under-represented talent within our organisation, but the wider industry too. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome – irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all.
To ensure every feels welcome, we offer support at every stage of the application and interview process. Should you need it, please let your recruitment contact know and they will be more than happy to help.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign. We were also recognised as a ‘Best 25 Big Company to Work For 2020’ as awarded by The Sunday Times.