Sustainability Communications Manager
Are you looking for a new challenge in Selfridges that gives you the chance to get creative and use your knowledge of the business to take PR to the next level? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career in PR as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
Your role will be pivotal in continuing to drive momentum and awareness of Project Earth, our transformational new sustainability initiative, and the wider sustainability agenda at Selfridges. Selfridges has an established heritage of leadership in sustainability, and it is at the heart of our strategy therefore the role is integral to the business. With more noise than ever in the sustainability space, it is critical that our voice continues to cut through in the sustainability industry. We want to grow our reputation in the sustainability industry and be recognised for the work we do.
As Sustainability Communications Manager you will:
- Develop and implement a strategic sustainability communications plan, with the Director of Sustainability and Director of PR
- Tell our sustainability story internally and externally, including but not limited to the press
- Work closely with the wider press office team on crisis management and reputation risk – leading and advising on those relevant to sustainability
- Be responsible for calendar of sustainability events and awards and manage submissions
- Manage requests that come through
- Draft briefing documents and brief spokespeople for events and media opportunities
- Champion sustainability narrative and identify sustainability stories to get behind working closely with key stakeholders within the business
- Ensure sustainability is integrated into all campaigns and PR messaging
- Work cross-functionally with other teams including Sustainability, Creative, Project Curation, Social Media, Internal Communications and Digital
- Liaise with relevant NGOs and external bodies comms teams
- Have deep sustainability knowledge, understand the key issues and keep on top of them, understand how they impact Selfridges reputation and advise on them
- Have deep sustainability contacts and connections
The Ideal Candidate
- A proven ability to deliver consistent, quality, on-message media coverage
- Excellent media contacts with a focus on news, consumer affairs, trade and sustainability media
- Interest and experience in retail (fashion and luxury a bonus)
- An understanding of the sustainability landscape and stakeholders within it relevant to Selfridges
- The ability to build relationships and work cross-functionally with other teams
- Collaborative working skills, working across both the sustainability and PR teams
- Proficient at measurement and reporting – reporting on a weekly and monthly basis on the media coverage received
- 10 years experience in Sustainability PR, from either an agency or in-house
- Experience in issues and crisis management
- Excellent writing skills, attention to detail and ability to create materials in the brand voice
- Experience in briefing and managing senior spokespeople for media interviews
- A hands-on approach, be flexible, able to work at pace with a strong work ethic
This guide represents a summary of the role, however all team members are expected to be flexible in the work they undertake, which may change from time to time, according to the needs of the business
This job is a brilliant opportunity to join a close-knit team who are incredibly passionate about taking their PR skills to the next level. If you’re looking to come into a new role and make a real impact, then this will be perfect for you.
About the Company
Our creative spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
THE FUN STUFF
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
• Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
• Discounted gym memberships
• Pension contributions
• Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
• A volunteer day for all team members
• Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development