Specification & Allergen Management Technologist
Are you looking for a new challenge that gives you the chance to assist with the maintenance and sign-off of product specifications and associated documentation, across all our Selfridges stores? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
As part of your role as the Specification & Allergen Management Technologist, you will:
- Ensure that all food products sold in Selfridges have accurately completed product specifications (including allergen information), from approved suppliers, prior to launch
- Approve product specifications, counter tickets, labelling artwork, menus and/or allergen matrices for food and drink products sold within Selfridges’ Foodhalls and Restaurants
- Liaise with Food Technical, Food Buying & Merchandising, Retail & Restaurant Operations and suppliers, to provide timely, accurate, legally compliant technical support, ensuring product specifications, counter tickets, menus, allergen matrices and labelling artworks are correct and fully approved prior to launch
- Highlight issues with non-compliant documentation, in good time, prior to launch
- Approve all specifications, or other documents, in-line with legal requirements, Selfridges policies, procedures and ethical trading requirements
- Liaise with food research agencies and food safety consultants for support to deliver compliance
- Liaise with Online and Copy Teams to ensure that product information is correct and compliant on Selfridges.com
- Liaise with Ticketing Team to ensure that the correct product information (from approved specifications) is on product counter tickets in our Foodhalls and Restaurants
- Support the on-going review and development of the Food Safety & Quality Management System – including the Supplier Quality Assurance programme
- Ensure the supplier approval and product specification system is effectively managed on an ongoing basis
- Ensure best practice is shared across all relevant departments
- Maintain an effective communication process
- Attend New Lines meeting with Food B&M
- Attend meetings with relevant departments to understand new ingredients and new menu launches
- Ensure and maintain effective communication of specification approval statistics
- Where required, support the Own Label development process
You’ll be working collaboratively with a variety of different departments including the Food Technical Team, Food Buying & Merchandising, Retail Operations, Restaurants Operations, Graphics - Ticketing Team, Online Team, Copy Team, Customer Services, Concession Partners.
The Ideal Candidate
As the Specification & Allergen Management Technologist you will:
- Have a passion for food, food safety and food quality standards
- Have good literacy and numeracy skills
- Be a great collaborator with sound communication skills
- Be methodical in your approach with keen attention to detail
- Have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Be organised with the ability to plan and prioritise different tasks
- Be a self-starter, able to use own initiative
- Have strong relationship-building skills, with the ability to work in a team
- Ability to analyse data and problem solve
- Have a Degree/HND in Food Science, Environmental Health or related discipline
- Have a good understanding of food composition
- Have a good understanding of basic nutrition
- Have sound allergen awareness
- Have knowledge of food labelling legislation and associated regulations
- Have competent IT experience (Microsoft Office programmes; Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), web-based programmes & data management systems
- Have strong project management skills and the ability to deliver to tight deadlines
This job is a brilliant opportunity to join a close-knit team who are incredibly passionate about food, food safety and food quality standards. If you’re looking to come into a new role and make a real impact, then this will be perfect for you.
About the Company
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
THE FUN STUFF
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development