Senior Quality Engineer - Digital
Selfridges is seeking an experienced agile lead quality engineer with hands on experience in test automation & management to join our expanding team and work on cutting edge web projects to support building quality into all areas of the delivery process, leading with an automation first mindset. Testing is an integral part of our delivery process, and you will be driving the evolution of the practice of continuous testing in our customer experience engineering teams
As lead quality Engineers you will be joining a talented team that have a strong focus on the customer experience. You will get a chance to apply your knowledge and skills in shaping the rebuild of the company website.
Working in an agile environment that will enable the project to provide extraordinary experiences for our customers. You will be accountable for delivering and managing testing across squads , within one or more workstreams and other QE’s working across geography (UK) and 3rd party locations. You will be working in a highly collaborative agile (Squad) team alongside a Product Owner, Lead BA, Tech Lead and various Product engineers and QE.
You will work with a diverse range of technical and non-technical stakeholders which will require excellent communication skills. You will define and drive to completion all aspects of a solution related to testing. You will need to influence business thinking and provide guidance to business representatives, supporting key stakeholders and project representatives on test activity.
Above all you should be a self-starter, be prepared to implement good shift left QA working practices on a team, have strong interpersonal skills, be energetic, disciplined, and keen to contribute to a fun, learning environment.
A hands-on lead quality engineer with strong agile, retail digital and test management experience. You will need to work with several technology and project teams to ensure that all testing elements of a proposed solution are documented, approved and delivered. This includes development of test strategy and provide technical assurance on complex solutions and delivery model, managing test plans, dependencies, risks, and issues.
You will also use your experience in quality engineering to define and implement best practice around QE in a shift left environment, shaping the QE approach for new squads within Customer experience.
- Certification in any agile framework is required and hands on experience of agile ways of working.
- Responsible for defining and implementing the agile approach to testing within the programme.
- Plan deploy and manage the testing effort for any given engagement.
- Collaboratively work with dev leads and project managers to ensure that testing is conducted in line with Selfridges strategic direction.
- Hands on test automation experience, is desirable, especially when release on demand is the vision,
- Ensure visibility, traceability and control of the testing process to deliver high quality software.
- Understand the concept of CI/CD and how test/build pipelines work.
- Assist in defining the test environment strategy for the programme.
- Work with suppliers and portfolio areas to ensure ongoing compliance to the testing principles for third parties and internal development teams.
- Lead the review of requirements, from a testing perspective.
- Identify the areas of risk, provide ongoing visibility of those to the programme management team.
- Effective risk mitigation and introduction of best practices.
- Actively drive testing efficiency throughout the supply chain, looking for opportunities to reduce cost and increase the use of automation.
- Provide a consolidated view of test progress across all work streams during the preparation and execution phases.
- Deploy and manage resources applying appropriate test measurements and metrics in the product and testing team.
- The following requirements must be guaranteed – Test sufficiency, effectiveness, efficiency, progress and product quality.
- Working with other QE and developers to facilitate conversations around defining, creating acceptance test criteria and identify automation test cases (Unit/Integration/UI)
- Bring value to requirements engineering (such as three-amigos conversations) to prevent quality issues arising from vague, inconsistent, or untestable requirements
- Ability to evolve whole team approaches to quality and coach teams to understand how they all contribute to continuous testing in the CI / CD pipeline and the rest of the delivery and run cycle
The Ideal Candidate
- The successful candidate will have a proven track record in a similar test management position with digital exposure
- Stakeholder management across varying management layers
- Experience in fast pace delivery environments with competing priorities
- Experience of agile methodologies
- Previous retail experience would be preferable
- Experience of project and programme
- Strong experience of working on delivery teams using scrum or kanban as well as XP engineering techniques.
- Solid understanding of the testing pyramid and its implementation in a shift left team.
- Have strong exploratory context driven testing skills, including experience of exploratory test tools and session-based management techniques
- Ability to provide manual and automated test assurance to ensure projects are complying with the engineering approach.
Tools and Technology
- Automation testing of Web-based applications appropriate for Microservice architectures with knowledge on React Apps
- CI/CD Tools - GitHub , Jenkins
- Browser Stack
- Jira / Confluence
- Contract testing
- Knowledge on analysing log from Splunk / Kibana
- Test Mocking services e.g., WireMock, Mokito etc
- NFT Automation using lighthouse & AXE
- Amazon Web Services
Personal Attributes/Behavioral Skills
- Motivated self-starter
- Excellent communication, organization and planning skills, pitching to the appropriate level
- Enthusiastic and passionate about testing and able to drive testing best practice across teams
- Ability to continually question current customs and practice, and initiate quality improvements
- Ability to think laterally to resolve project issues
- Strategic and analytical problem solving and effective time management
- Experience of implementing and managing change IT environment
- Personal effectiveness (resilience)
- Planning and organising
- Commercial sense
About the Company
Our Creative Spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our Awards Cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
Everyone is welcome
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive working culture, and we see this as key to our success and our working culture. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome - irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all. We are diverse, we are inclusive, we are Selfridges.
The Fun Stuff
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development