Senior Quality Engineer - Customer
Selfridges has always been much more than a shop. We’re a social space where everyone is welcome and feels a sense of belonging, a creative playground where culture and commerce collide, and an experimental hub where you can discover the most innovative and sustainable ideas in retail. We’re here to help make the world brighter. And you can be an important part of this. We’ll talk more about the role below, but before we get to that, let’s share with you the good stuff…
Rewards and benefits
Life at Selfridges is dynamic, exciting, and always evolving. As well as working with some of the most cutting-edge, iconic and boundary-pushing brands, designers and creatives, we also offer our team members opportunities to help make a positive difference through our network of communities, both within and outside Selfridges. Here are just a few of our rewards and benefits that help make our team experience that bit more extraordinary.
Flexible working options to benefit you, your family and your wellbeing that can include part-time, flexi-time, job sharing or hybrid working
Generous annual leave that increases with length of service
Up to five paid volunteering days – from beach cleans to co-ordinating food and clothing donations
Family leave that suits your set up including Maternity, Paternity, Adoption, Surrogacy and Shared Parental leave policies
Defined pension contribution scheme
Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
Enviable team member discount including sale previews and double discount days
Exclusive local discounts on a range of restaurants, bars, beauticians and entertainment
Subsidised gym memberships
Annual travel pass and cycle-to-work schemes
A sustainable car salary sacrifice scheme
Several internal communities to get involved in from our Diversity Board and Green Warriors who are leading the charge on D,E&I and sustainability, to the Wellbeings who are always thinking of new ways to champion healthy minds, bodies and routines for our team members
Workplace Options, our confidential team member assistance programme for when life gets tricky or you need a little guidance
Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development
Read on to find out how you can play your part in Reinventing Retail…
Selfridges is currently looking for an experienced "Senior Quality Engineer" who has practical experience as a Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET), to join our expanding team and work on cutting edge Products/ technologies to support building a sustainable process into all areas of the delivery process, leading with an automation first mindset. Quality Engineering plays a vital role in our delivery process, and the chosen candidate will be responsible for driving the evolution of Continuous Testing practices within the Customer Domain engineering teams.
This role will be part of the Technology function and closely collaborate with the Product organization in a matrix environment. A crucial aspect of this role involves cultivating an Agile Delivery mindset and approach to Quality Engineering. The incumbent will be accountable for devising and implementing a Quality strategy and approach across various engineering squads, including Clientelling, CRM, Membership, and Loyalty. The role will also be responsible for fostering high quality partnerships with our key Engineering & Quality partners
The preferred candidate should be capable of assisting and guiding teams in all aspects of quality engineering, promoting a collective sense of responsibility for quality and incorporating continuous and modern Testing principles. This role encompasses managing test delivery for multiple squads within a specific domain, overseeing line management of Quality Engineers working in those domains, and providing test delivery governance and support to third-party suppliers.
- Strong experience of working and leading QE delivery teams using Scrum or Kanban as well as XP engineering techniques in an Agile environment. solid understanding of the Testing Pyramid and its implementation in a Shift Left team.
- Having in depth functional and product knowledge of Clientelling, CRM, Membership, and Loyalty. Experience of working in Omnichannel Retail, with experience of Customer Relationship Management and Customer Data Management.
- A proven track record of driving outstanding technology products and platforms in the context of a large-scale famous Retail organisation
- Outstanding communication and influencing skills, with the ability to manage, engage and collaborate with a wide range of complex stakeholders, building a shared and compelling vision
- Proven experience of delivering high quality, customer focussed services in a complex and changing environment and demonstrating a practical approach to problem solving
- Proven experience of integration testing both in the small (on single applications) and in the large (cross project)
- Collaborating with QE and Software Developers to develop test automation solutions across domain
- Ability to provide manual and automated test assurance to ensure projects are complying with the Engineering approach.
- Continuously grow own skills and knowledge across the tasks that the team needs to complete to deliver digital services
KEY ACCOUNTABILIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Define & Implement Domain Test Strategy, Automation roadmap, architecting and implementing frameworks from scratch ensuring automation adoption by each team.
- Provide technical Quality assurance on complex infrastructure and migration initiatives. Leading all platform initiatives from Quality engineering perspective driving Test Planning (including estimates, resource planning and 3rd party vendors), tracking, reporting, and managing continuous improvement of quality practices.
- Bring value to requirements engineering (such as three-amigos conversations) to prevent quality issues arising from vague, inconsistent, or untestable requirements, drive and implement the Shift Left QA approach
- Ability to evolve whole team approaches to quality and coach teams to understand how they all contribute to continuous testing in the CI / CD pipeline and the rest of the delivery and run cycle
- Building new automation frameworks for Web/services/mobile apps, services virtualisation, implementing CICD, Customising/re-engineering legacy frameworks and provisioning next gen Automation capabilities.
- Work closely with the vendor resources to ensure they are cross trained across applications and have a complete understanding of the various interactions within the eco system for a given End to End flow
- Coach, mentor & support Quality Engineers in automation best practices, tools, framework, planning & delivery of test automation strategy
- Identify the areas of risk, provide ongoing visibility of those to the Programme Management team, effective risk mitigation and introduction of best practices.
- Demonstrate the ability to utilise metrics, and other forms of production feedback (such as monitoring) to revise risk views and feed back into future enhancements of the delivery engineering pipeline
- Demonstrate good hands-on experience or expertise in non-functional testing such as performance, accessibility, and security testing
The Ideal Candidate
- Proven record of delivering large scale change with agile/lean methodologies
- Has ability to make informed decisions based upon analysis, experience, and judgment. Role models excellent behaviours and leads through both success and failure with a high focus on outcomes.
- Hands on experience in Clientele, CRM (Salesforce), Membership, and Loyalty. Experience of working in Omnichannel Retail, with experience of Customer Relationship Management and Customer Data Management.
- Extensive working experience creating and maintaining CI/CD pipelines and QA processes and thresholds in devops pipeline. Familiar with automated check-ins, deployment and execution with proper execution tasks using CI tools will be crucial
- Familiarity on Open-source tools is mandatory with hands-on experience including setup and configuration (e.g., Cypress, Selenium, CodeceptJS, CodedUI, Protractor)
- Familiar with Test Management (Zephyr, Confluence, JIRA etc),Automation and CI/CD (Git Hub/ Jenkins) tools and techniques
- Able to foresees and resolves potential bottlenecks, delays, and barriers to delivery. A problem-solver with a passion to creatively find solutions
- A motivated self-starter, enthusiastic, resilient, personally effective, pro-active with a flexible attitude to work
- A proactive and positive approach to working in a matrix environment with the ability to influence and challenge successfully when required.
About the Company
Everyone is welcome
Selfridges is a place where we want everyone to feel a sense of belonging. We embrace every self and are committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive working culture. We are leading with purpose to not only increase the visibility and recognition of under-represented talent within our organisation, but the wider industry too. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome – irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign. We were also recognised as a ‘Best 25 Big Company to Work For 2020’ as awarded by The Sunday Times.