Are you looking for a new Senior Copywriter role that gives you the chance to work in a highly creative team? Are you searching for a role that gives you the opportunity to work for a business renowned for its style, creative flair and innovative approach? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career within creative as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
As Senior Copywriter, you will be producing engaging, creative and informative product copy, helping to build our reputation as an authoritative fashion destination. Making up part of the Content Team and sitting within the Online Photostudio department, you will play a key role in delivering an extraordinary digital experience to our online customer and be integral to the smooth running of a fast-paced ecommerce studio environment.
You will be required to work independently at a fast pace writing compelling product descriptions in line with our Selfridges tone of voice across all of our departments. You will manage your own workload, juggling researching brands/products with writing and uploading copy to meet strict deadlines. You will also be required to allocate and manage workflow for the midweight, junior and freelance copywriters, monitoring productivity and liaising with multiple teams regarding daily product workflow and priorities. You will line manage the Junior Copywriter, along with providing mentorship and guidance to all other team members and provide day-to-day support to the Content Editor. You will act as guardians and champions of the Selfridges tone of voice, maintaining quality and consistency as well as continuously looking for ways to improve and evolve our copy.
- Write up to 34 product descriptions a day across all departments (Womenswear/Menswear/Home/Tech/Beauty/Food/Kids/Jewellery)
- Produce engaging, informative and accurate copy in line with the Selfridges tone of voice and house style guides
- Conduct thorough brand and product research to inform your copy whilst working independently delivering copy at pace to strict deadlines
- Sub-edit and proof-read your own work
- Mentor, train and sub-edit junior, midweight and freelance copywriters as required
- Allocate products daily to the team and monitor product workflow for all core and freelance copywriters
- Liaise daily with the wider Photostudio teams on product workflow and manage priorities
- Line management of the Junior Copywriter, providing them with support and guidance and developing their skillset
- Liaise with the Trading and Buying teams on product drops, brand requirements/information and workflow
- Conduct daily site walks to maintain quality and consistency, continuously looking for ways to improve and evolve
- Keep abreast of seasonal fashion trends and maintain good brand knowledge and share your knowledge with the team to keep them inspired and informed
- Work with the other Senior Copywriters and the Content Editor to inspire and challenge the team to continuously optimise our product copy, always aiming to inform but also surprise, amaze and amuse our customers with creative and original product descriptions
- Act as the guardian of the Selfridges tone of voice across all product copy, ensuring consistency and quality for our customers
- Work on other ad hoc copy related projects as required
- Provide day-to-day support to the Content Editor
The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in a copywriting/journalism/content role (ideally fashion/lifestyle writing experience)
- Experience managing a direct report/direct reports and/or providing guidance and support to junior team members
- Experience in an ecommerce/fashion environment
- Experience with content management systems and managing workflow
- Educated to degree level in a related subject (e.g. English/Fashion/Media)
- An accomplished and experienced writer with genuine passion and enthusiasm for the English language and impeccable grammar
- Highly organised with excellent time management and meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to form strong working relationships and lead, engage and inspire a team
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently at pace to a very high standard, managing workload to strict deadlines
- Experienced in sub-editing and proof-reading
- Strong awareness of fashion trends and in-depth brand knowledge
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and how to apply them
- PC literate in Outlook, Microsoft Word and Excel
About the Company
A BIT ABOUT US
Our creative spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
THE FUN STUFF
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development