Senior Construction Manager
The Selfridges Group is comprised of Brown Thomas & Arnotts in Ireland, Holt Renfrew in Canada, Selfridges & Co in the UK, and de Bijenkorf in the Netherlands, all of which are successful department stores in their own right. Although part of an overarching group structure, the business has purposefully sought to maintain the individuality of each brand and as such they all have a distinct positioning, in keeping with their local market and the customers that they serve.
The Selfridges Group Support Functions is a team of around 30 people whose purpose is to support the businesses in though leadership, cross-group project management, reporting and governance.
Our culture is a dynamic and fast-paced one, and those with a pro-active mindset, strong communication skills and an international perspective will find Selfridges Group an exciting, challenging and fulfilling organisation in which to work.
This is a key role in the development of the new North West corner of the estate. As part of our Neighbourhood Plan this is a key project and the Senior Construction Manager will be responsible for liaising, co-ordinating and directing, where appropriate the internal Selfridges Team and external stakeholders in delivering of this part of our masterplan.
The role sits with the client side of the business. But due to the size and scale of the project it is part of a wider team than include externally appointed Development Managers who will be expected to manage the delivery of the Project on our behalf.
The role can generally be broken down as follows:
- Working alongside the External Development Managers and assisting them, on behalf of the Client, with the management and governance of the Project, including third parties dealing with Party Wall awards and ROL etc.
- Providing the project management interface between the external design and delivery teams and the internal design and delivery teams within Selfridges as part of the various fit out projects
- Providing, on behalf of the client, or seeking from the client, direction to the external design and delivery teams on matter which require client lad decisions
- Providing the interface and co-ordination between the Project and various Selfridges internal facilities and asset management teams
- Assist in the production of clear briefs by the Creative Design Team for all parts of the project
- Liaise, as appropriate to the scope, with all internal and external stakeholders throughout project lifecycle
- Attend internal and external design and steering meetings and act as Client representative for all internal / external parties
- Assist the development manager in producing scopes for external consultants and compiling formal appointments
- Support and assist the procurement process and compilation of contractual arrangements for contractors in conjunction with the Development and Construction Managers
- Review the systems in place for the effective management of costs through the application of formal financial controls
- Monitor and review time targets
- Set out the quality standards required by the Client and monitor that these are met or raise matters with the Development / Construction manager where they are not.
- Assist in the application of effective change controls throughout projects
- Ensure that checks around project compliance have been completed within the requirements of legislation and/or external authorities
- Ensure internal design approvals and financial sanctions are obtained at appropriate stages
- Set out the Clients Requirements and ensure effective management of project documentation for future retrieval
- Report project progress and any issues back to the Group Director of Construction
- Assist in the management of a virtual team of internal and /or external consultants
- Feed back to the Development Manager and non-performance of the project team
- Manage change and potential conflict
- Report project team progress and any issues back to the Group Director of Construction
- Liaise as necessary as Clients Representative with the external design team in relation to the delivery of concept and final scheme
- Meet regularly with the Selfridges Senior Design Manager to ensure that the visual and technical briefs for designs have been provided and that the designs are being developed in accordance with these.
- Monitor design progress with key milestones
- Assist with formal design sign-off at key points in all projects
- In conjunction with the communication team execute the communication plan for all parts of the project
- Communicate effectively both internally and externally and especially to the neighbouring businesses and residents
- Seek feedback and respond constructively to criticism
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with colleagues and external parties
- Effectively manage written and oral communication
- Maintain records
- Keep up to date with and manage information technology systems
- Develop and follow internal audit procedures for the management of projects
Business Goals and Brand Values
- Encourage and promote an understanding of the Selfridges Group brand values and ways of working amongst external consultants and contractors
The Ideal Candidate
- Excellent project management skills
- Experience in large infrastructure projects and / or hotel projects
- Experience in design – could have an architect or interior designer background
- Experience of managing design projects in a large scale construction environment
- Good influencing and negotiation skills
- Understanding of retail & Hotel operations
- Good empathy with brand development
- Ability to manage and motivate virtual teams
- Ability to influence and communicate at all levels and areas of the business and with external parties
Your Career At Selfridges
We are a shop run on imagination: a place where the world’s most covetable brands combine with the most extraordinary spectacles, events and ideas for an experience like no other.
We have challenged the rules of retail from day one, whilst demonstrating our unwavering commitment to sustainability. In 2016, we were the first to be awarded with recognition for the ‘World’s Best Sustainability Campaign by a Department Store’ at the IGDS Global Department Store Summit, in-line with its focus on buying better and inspiring change. We are also recognised as the Best Department Store in the World (2010, 2012, 2014 & 2018) underlining our place at the forefront of retail. In 2018 we were recognised as a LinkedIn Top Company to work for.
Our vision is to be the destination for the most extraordinary customer experience, and our people are central to us achieving this. As an employer we are committed to making Selfridges an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work