Are you looking for a Retail Trainer role that gives you the chance to combine your passion for retail with a genuine interest in professional development? Want the opportunity to deliver a high-quality on-boarding experience as part of a team of dedicated Retail Trainers at our store on Oxford Street? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
As our new Retail Trainer, you will support the on-boarding of new retail team members and help them develop the necessary capabilities they will need to deliver an extraordinary experience that will surprise, amaze and amuse our customers. As part of this, you will:
- Deliver a high quality on-boarding experience to new retail team members through retail skills training, continuous coaching, observations and on-the-job training.
- Plan and implement on-the-job training and coaching to new team members to help them deliver an extraordinary, multi-channel service to our customers.
- Provide in-the-moment feedback to new team members on their performance, acting as a subject matter expert in retail operations and service but also as a mentor!
- Work closely with Department Managers through the probation period, providing valuable insight to senior management teams and the retail L&D team, hot off the shop floor.
- Work closely with Learning & Development to understand all the different training solutions available. Think of yourself as an extension of L&D on the frontline of the retail business.
You’ll be reporting into the Retail Training Manager and working closely internally with the wider Retail Operations team.
The Ideal Candidate
- You’ll take a pragmatic approach to forward-planning and strategic thinking, with a wonderful ability to provide proactive solutions no matter what the business throws at you (not literally throws but you know what we mean!)
- You’ll have experience of coaching others to develop their performance, preferably within a service-focused culture.
- You’ll understand retail and how it works so you’ll be well placed to provide advice and knowledge on all aspects of retail life.
- You’ll be super organised and juggling conflicting priorities will be no problem for you.
- Your communication skills are excellent. Whether you’re presenting to a group our facilitating a workshop, you’ll know how to capture the attention of your audience and engage them in what you’re saying.
- We love a positive, can-do attitude and you’ll have plenty of that. You’ll also be incredibly self-aware so you’ll have no issues providing or receiving feedback.
This job is a brilliant opportunity to surround yourself with a diverse team of both retail and training professionals, who have experience from an array of different organisations including many who have worked in retail at Selfridges before. It doesn’t just stop here either - we have lots of opportunities to get involved and collaborate on projects and in communities internally, so no two days will ever be the same. As Harry Gordon Selfridge once said, ‘There’s no fun like work!’
About the Company
Our creative spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
The Fun Stuff
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development