Research Analyst to the Chairman
We are a collection of international department stores that exist to imagine and create a sustainable future for our people and our customers.
The Group is comprised of 5 brands, each iconic in their region: Selfridges in the UK, Brown Thomas Arnotts in Ireland, De Bijenkorf in the Netherlands, and Holt Renfrew in Canada. Across 26 store locations and employing nearly 20,000 people, Selfridges Group has a turnover of £2.2bn. We serve customers globally across all channels and are deeply connected with the fabric of the cities we inhabit.
We put our customers and teams at the heart of everything we do. They care deeply about the environment and we share their high standards. That is why sustainability is central to our ambition to reinvent retail. We believe the future lies in empowering talented people to deliver extraordinary customer experiences within human and planetary boundaries.
This role will be part of a small, dynamic, friendly team in the Chairman’s office, reporting into her Chief of Staff. It will provide the candidate with the opportunity to be exposed to both the strategic and operational leadership while learning about a wide range of subject matters and the dynamics of the business. It will be a unique introduction to the world of high-end experiential retail, as well as a special focus on ESG.
The person will need to be flexible, curious, and warm, with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Conduct research and analysis on topics in support of the Chairman’s agenda, preparing concise but rigorous reports to inform and support views. Precis key documents, including research conducted internally or externally with sustainability a key focus.
- Digest and interpret data and information for the Chairman and her Chief of Staff, particularly around; People, Sustainability, Customer and Innovation
- Engage with internal team members and external specialists in order to produce insight and understanding around themes which will provide the Chairman context and knowledge.
- Ensure the Chairman’s office is informed of external news and issues within the sustainability field.
- Liaise with the Group sustainability team.
- Support the Chairman on her sustainability podcast, manage the guest list, and liaise with production company
- Principal point of contact for Group internal and external comms leads
- Liaise with the Group Internal and External Comms teams
- Manage the Chairman’s external and internal engagement plan, ensuring all engagements are pre-planned, briefed and executed in a seamless and coherent way.
- Coordinate the Chairman’s comms plan with Group MD’s comms plan.
- Ensure the Chairman and her Chief of Staff are aware of forthcoming comms events.
- Prepare necessary briefing documents ahead of comms events
Support to Chairman & Chief of Staff
- Assist in preparation for meetings – preparing materials, researching required people and subjects, pre-briefing.
- Represent the Chairman’s office at high profile events: for example, networking forums and conferences and be comfortable speaking with senior leaders on a host of topics.
- Shadow and support Chief of Staff on specific or ad-hoc duties.
Key Skills & Experience
- Strong analytical skills – able to get to the root of the question quickly
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Be able to tell a story or build an argument through their communication; whether this is written, PowerPoints, etc. A deep interest and passion for sustainability and innovation, ideally with working experience in one of these areas
- Self-sufficient, confident and independent
- Excellent at building strong relationships and with effective influencing skills
- Collaborative and collegiate and able to express opinion and challenge where required to senior stakeholders
- Understanding of sustainability – ESG, SBTs, UN Sustainability goals, aims of COP, etc.
- Understanding of basic financial principles e.g. P&L, Capex/Opex, EBITDA, etc.
- High level of discretion