Product Developer - Food (Maternity cover 12months)
Are you looking for a Product Development role that gives you the chance to get creative? Are you a forward-thinking foodie, who is passionate about developing new food products? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career in product development?
If the answer to all these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
As a Product Developer at Selfridges, you will manage the development, reformulation and implementation of new products under the Selfridges Selection own label brand. You will own the npd critical path and bring your project management skills to the process of growing the Selfridges Selection brand’s share of our total food sales.
A de-facto food trend reporter, you will research and identify opportunities within the food industry, share these with the wider buying team, and develop creative ideas which will diversify our food offering in store and online. Environmental and social sustainability are at the heart of our sourcing policy, and you will be responsible for driving our sustainability agenda through the Selfridges brand.
Key responsibilities include:
- Identifying trends in the international culinary and hospitality industry and communicating these to the wider buying team.
- Planning and driving all Selfridges own label npd projects end to end, from the creative brief to launch on the shop floor and online.
- Working with the Creative office and Graphics teams to interpret the vision for Selfridges own label and to co-ordinate the teams responsible for bringing this to life.
- Responsibility for the smooth running of the own label projects, working across Creative, Buying, Graphics and Marketing to ensure every element is in place for each new phase of the process.
- Working with the Buying team to understand and establish range shape and retail pricing.
- Influencing the supply base to constantly improve the design, quality and sustainability credentials of Selfridges own label product.
- Communicating with retail operations, particularly with regard to new product launches and product knowledge training.
- Working with the Property, Design and Visual Merchandising teams to optimise the opportunity for own label product.
- Working with Customer Communications including PR, Digital Marketing and Events to maximise promotional opportunities in line with new product launches.
- Working with the Buying team to analyse sales performance, taking action when necessary to discontinue or redevelop products.
- Working with the Technical and Product team to ensure products are safe and compliant with all legislation.
The Ideal Candidate
- Outstanding project management skills
- A commercial player with an ability to control costs
- Ability to build rapport and robust relationships
- A strong influencer
- Good empathy with brand development
- A passion for food and product development
- Understanding of each of the key elements in own label product development from sourcing to packaging
- Ability to communicate at all levels and areas of the business and with external parties
- Ability to quickly build a high profile within a business with flair and resilience
- A creative and innovative thinker
- Good negotiation skills
- Excellent understanding of the industry and great brand awareness
- Systems literate
About the Company
Rewards and benefits
Here are just a few of our rewards and benefits that help make our team experience that bit more extraordinary.
Flexible working options to benefit you, your family and your wellbeing that can include part-time, flexi-time, job sharing or hybrid working
Generous annual leave that increases with length of service
Up to five paid volunteering days – from beach cleans to co-ordinating food and clothing donations
Family leave that suits your set up including Maternity, Paternity, Adoption, Surrogacy and Shared Parental leave policies
Defined pension contribution scheme
Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
Enviable team member discount including sale previews and double discount days
Exclusive local discounts on a range of restaurants, bars, beauticians and entertainment
Subsidised gym memberships
A sustainable car salary sacrifice scheme (subject to eligibility criteria)
Several internal communities to get involved in from our Diversity Board and Green Warriors who are leading the charge on D,E&I and sustainability, to the Wellbeings who are always thinking of new ways to champion healthy minds, bodies and routines for our team members
Workplace Options, our confidential team member assistance programme for when life gets tricky or you need a little guidance
Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development
Read on to find out how you can play your part in Reinventing Retail…
Everyone is welcome
Selfridges is a place where we want everyone to feel a sense of belonging. We embrace every self and are committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive working culture. We are leading with purpose to not only increase the visibility and recognition of under-represented talent within our organisation, but the wider industry too. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome – irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all.
To ensure every feels welcome, we offer support at every stage of the application and interview process. Should you need it, please let your recruitment contact know and they will be more than happy to help.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign. We were also recognised as a ‘Best 25 Big Company to Work For 2020’ as awarded by The Sunday Times.