Principal Software Engineer
What is the role?
We are transforming our Selfridges digital platform using the latest technologies and have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Engineer to join our rapidly expanding agile teams based in our London office.
Your vision and ambition will contribute to shaping our online technology and influence our future technical direction. You will take pride in the robust code you deliver with your team.
As a Principal Engineer:
- Collaborates and makes proposals across engineering and help team members make informed decisions in alignment with the domain strategic plans.
- Exposes technology and organizational needs throughout their domain.
- Teach, mentor, grow, and provide advice to other experts, across several teams in their domains.
- Play a central role in technical, business, and organizational contributions.
- Work with the product team to plan improvements and features.
- Solves technical problems of the highest scope, complexity for your domain.
- Look for innovation opportunities with a willingness to experiment.
- Proposes initial technical implementation which supports architectural changes that solve scaling and performance problems.
- Guide conversations to remove blockers and encourage collaboration across the domain.
- Provides a point of escalation for teams facing complex technical challenges.
- Attain a measurable impact on the work of teams.
- Interact with stakeholders as a consultant and spokesperson for the work of your domain.
- Exposes the work of the domain and their business impact internally.
- Knowledgeable in all specialities practiced within the domain.
The Ideal Candidate
- Have worked with core AWS services ( APIG, Lambda, DynamoDB, SNS, SQS)
- Deep knowledge of one of a high-level programming language nodeJS / Typescript
- Experience with monitoring solutions such as CloudWatch, New Relic,
- Writing infrastructure as code (IaC) using one of CloudFormation, Terraform, CDK
- Experience with working with on either Github, Gitlab
About the Company
Our Creative Spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our Awards Cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
Everyone is welcome
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive working culture, and we see this as key to our success and our working culture. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome - irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all. We are diverse, we are inclusive, we are Selfridges.
The Fun Stuff
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development