Payroll Systems Manager
Are you looking for a Payroll Systems Manager role that gives you the chance to work for one of the World’s most iconic department stores? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
The Leicester Head Office Finance team structure includes 4 key areas of responsibility, namely Financial Accounting, Treasury, Payroll & HR Admin and Accounts Processing, all reporting to the Financial Controller.
Reporting directly to the Financial Controller, the Payroll Systems Manager is a high profile managerial role within the Payroll team giving the job holder exposure to senior stakeholders both within and outside of the business.
As a key contact within the Payroll (and wider Finance) team, the jobholder will possess strong communication skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of individuals both within the business and when representing Selfridges externally, delivering an extraordinary experience for all customers.
Know the Role
This role, sitting within the Payroll team, is a key point of contact within the business for all payroll administrative and system matters with additional responsibility for providing support and advice on all Payroll matters as required. The job holder will own the Payroll account reconciliation process, with support from the wider Payroll and Financial Accounting teams, to ensure all reconciliations are completed timely and accurately. The wide remit will provide fantastic opportunities for a proactive self-starter to develop and grow this role to provide an excellent Payroll service to the wider business, and continuously improve our processes and ways of working.
Payroll Task Management & Business Support
- As the key point of contact across the business for all Payroll administration, the Payroll Systems Manager will manage and co-ordinate the annual Payroll task list, liaising regularly with key senior stakeholders across the business to ensure all relevant teams are aligned
- Working closely with and supporting the Senior Payroll Processing Manager, Senior HR leaders and FC to ensure the Payroll team are prepared for any upcoming tasks or challenges and the annual timetable is kept up to date
- Working closely with the Senior Payroll Processing Manager, ensure the FC and the Payroll team are kept abreast of any policy, process or legislative changes, and any upcoming tasks and challenges
- Support the Senior Payroll Processing Manager to reach practical solutions for all challenges
- As the "owner" of all new Payroll systems, the Payroll Systems Manager will be the liaison point between the Payroll team, the FC and other business support functions
- Be the key point of contact for the FC and the Payroll Processing Manager around all system process and changes, ensuring the team are kept well informed and the FC is appraised on any changes and challenges
- Key point of contact and communication around any system changes and manage the process for the efficient resolution of any system issues
- Support the Payroll team through periods of change, and ensuring the Payroll team are up to date and trained on all payroll related systems
- Responsible for ensuring all new starters are set up and trained on the payroll systems as part of their induction
- Identification of any gaps in knowledge or training on the payroll systems and processes and work with the FC and Payroll Processing Manager to ensure training and advice is provided as appropriate
- Provide support and advice to the Payroll team and Senior Payroll Processing Manager as required to ensure the Payroll team process data accurately, efficiently and within the expected timescales
- Direct "hands-on" payroll support during payroll processing week to ensure continued learning and familiarity with the systems and processes
- Provide additional support with payroll processing as required during busy periods
- Provide cover in the day-to-day management of the Payroll Processing team as required
Processes & Controls:
- As owner of the monthly payroll account reconciliation process, with the assistance of the Financial Accounting and wider Payroll teams, the Payroll Systems Manager will be responsible for ensuring all monthly account reconciliations are completed timely and all reconciling items identified and addressed.
- Ensuring all Payroll processes are documented and documentation maintained and kept up to date, determine additional documentation that would be useful for the team (new starters etc) and work with the team to ensure this is completed, reviewed annually and maintained
- For all system changes, working with the FC to ensure all Payroll controls are replaced/enhanced, and that any system controls are optimised
- Continuous improvement of our ways of working, with a strong focus on how to get the best out of the new system
- Working closely with the FC and Senior Payroll Processing Manager and Team Leaders to continually review and suggest improvements to strengthen the Payroll systems' control environment
- Working with the FC and Senior Payroll Processing Manager, development and monitoring of Payroll KPIs, including error rates, recalls and business non-compliance and development of monthly KPI reporting to the FC and wider business re non-compliance
- Review system processes looking for efficiencies. Be willing to challenge to ensure best practice
- Work with IT and HRIS to identify and implement system efficiencies and better ways of working
The Ideal Candidate
- An experienced Payroll Manager with experience of supporting others through change
- Strong knowledge of payroll systems and processes
- Proactive self-starter with a drive to continually improve processes and outputs to provide a first class service to all stakeholders.
- Inquisitive and curious with a questioning nature and keen to gain a deep understanding of all areas of the business relevant to the role.
- Keen to challenge "the norm" and proactively drive continuous improvements
- As a key representative of the Finance/Payroll team, builds excellent working relationships and trust with all internal and external customers
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels, with the ability to listen and build rapport with a variety of audiences and stakeholders
- A pro-active communicator who provides regular updates / progress updates to all stakeholders, actively seeking opportunities to raise profile and communicate with stakeholders
- Results driven, ensuring all tasks are completed accurately and within agreed timescales
- Highly organised with the ability to multitask and prioritise workload
- Proactive in sharing knowledge and assisting colleagues across all areas of expertise
- A strong ability to listen, consider and weigh up alternatives, and document the rationale behind all decision making
- Strong MS Excel skills
- An excellent understanding of the components of payroll, with proven experience of reconciling payroll accounts
- Promotes a positive and proactive culture that embraces change
- Always offers and shows respect in the working environment
- Monitors own performance and seeks ways to improve
- Follow health and safety procedures and security procedures
The role is based in Leicester with occasional travel to other offices (primarily London) as required
This job is a brilliant opportunity to surround yourself with a dedicated and experienced team. It doesn’t just stop here either - we have lots of opportunities to get involved and collaborate on projects and in communities internally, so no two days will ever be the same. As Harry Gordon Selfridge once said, ‘There’s no fun like work!’
About the Company
A BIT ABOUT US
Our creative spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
THE FUN STUFF
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development