Paralegal - Data Protection & Legal Team
Are you looking for a new challenge that gives you the chance to get creative and use your knowledge of law and data protection expertise here at Selfridges? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career, as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
As a Paralegal supporting the Data Protection Officer, General Counsel and Legal Team, you will support the business to achieve its vision of being the destination for extraordinary customer experience, whilst ensuring that key legal responsibilities are delivered and compliance requirements are met. You will understand and embrace Selfridges as a whole, from the customer facing front-of-house teams to the back-of-house functions and project teams that are needed to run a truly omni-channel, global, luxury retailer.
You will be impactful, build strong relationships and bring a positive, pragmatic decision-making focus, identifying risk and balancing with common sense and a can-do attitude in a fast-paced environment. You will demonstrate a careful attention to detail, the ability to plan and prioritise, ensuring key activities are carried out in a timely manner, bringing clarity and structure to assist others. You will be comfortable in questioning and finding solutions, advising and supporting colleagues from across the business.
As part of this, you will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of relevant legal matters for a business like Selfridges, including the requirements to comply with data protection laws.
- Be able to plan and manage your workload, adjusting to the demands or requirements from the colleagues you are supporting.
- Keep colleagues and key stakeholders up to date on your activities; planning, managing, maintaining trackers and reports as required, diarising deadlines and planning work to deadlines; always keeping on top of compliance requirements and best practice. You will use standard office software and tools to achieve these aims.
- Be able to read legal text, understand and advise on this; support and use your common sense, to offer a point of view; providing written responses in well written English, without jargon.
- Assist with legal documents, advice notes, process management, disputes/ litigation or investigations e.g. from a regulator; support on business projects, keeping up to date with data protection and other relevant legal requirements for Selfridges.
- Support the Data Protection and Legal team to be a high performing team; inspiring others around you, living the Selfridges Values, helping the team to identify the core of a problem quickly, to navigate legal requirements and issues, whilst supporting colleagues to achieve their goals to drive the business forward.
The Ideal Candidate
- A graduate, most likely a law graduate (or someone with equivalent experience)
- Someone with excellent academics and some relevant prior legal / DPO experience
- Someone who can demonstrate their ability to translate sometimes complex data protection and legal matters into straightforward, pragmatic and user-friendly advice
- Solutions focused and analytical. Able to see through a problem and find a solution, with strong organisational skills and a keen eye for detail.
- Able to manage deadlines and a complex workload, able to adjust pace or direction in a calm, friendly and well planned manner.
- A great communicator. With sound interpersonal skills and strong written and verbal communication, you are able to influence business stakeholders.
- an ambassador for the Legal team, the DPO team and their roles.
- Able to consider financial implications, risks, business impacts and also plan yours and others’ time and resources.
- Able to produce user-friendly advice or documents, be a good listener, be a collaborative team member and to offer leadership or ideas when required
- Understanding of excellent customer service from the customer and service provider’s perspective
- An example of our values, a trusted and respected colleague.
We recognise that candidates may be available pending the start of a legal job e.g. a training contract and we are very happy to consider candidates in this situation but would ask for at least 12 months’ availability to commit to this paralegal role at Selfridges.
This job is a brilliant opportunity to join a close-knit team who are incredibly passionate.. If you’re looking to come into a new role and make a real impact, then this will be perfect for you.
About the Company
Our creative spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
THE FUN STUFF
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
• Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
• Discounted gym memberships
• Pension contributions
• Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
• A volunteer day for all team members
• Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development