Selfridges has always been much more than a shop. We’re a social space where everyone is welcome and feels a sense of belonging, a creative playground where culture and commerce collide, and an experimental hub where you can discover the most innovative and sustainable ideas in retail. We’re here to help make the world brighter. And you can be an important part of this. We’ll talk more about the role below, but before we get to that, let’s share with you the good stuff…
Rewards and benefits
Life at Selfridges is dynamic, exciting, and always evolving. As well as working with some of the most cutting-edge, iconic and boundary-pushing brands, designers and creatives, we also offer our team members opportunities to help make a positive difference through our network of communities, both within and outside Selfridges. Here are just a few of our rewards and benefits that help make our team experience that bit more extraordinary.
Flexible working options to benefit you, your family and your wellbeing that can include part-time, flexi-time, job sharing or working remotely
Generous annual leave that increases with length of service
Up to five paid volunteering days – from beach cleans to co-ordinating food and clothing donations
Family leave that suits your set up including Maternity, Paternity, Adoption, Surrogacy and Shared Parental leave policies
Defined pension contribution scheme
Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
Enviable team member discount including sale previews and double discount days
Exclusive local discounts on a range of restaurants, bars, beauticians and entertainment
Subsidised gym memberships
Annual travel pass and cycle-to-work schemes
A sustainable car salary sacrifice scheme
Several internal communities to get involved in from our Diversity Board and Green Warriors who are leading the charge on D,E&I and sustainability, to the Wellbeings who are always thinking of new ways to champion healthy minds, bodies and routines for our team members
Workplace Options, our confidential team member assistance programme for when life gets tricky or you need a little guidance
Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development
Read on to find out how you can play your part in Reinventing Retail…
We are looking for an exceptional Midweight Designer, to work with the Senior Design Manager to develop Selfridges creative. Based in our London office and reporting into the Senior Design Manager, within the wider Selfridges Multimedia team.
The Midweight Designer will concept and deliver innovative and cutting-edge creative across in store and across all channels. We are looking for a highly talented individual, tuned into the latest creative and cultural movements with a broad skillset and strong typography skills and aesthetic to bring Selfridges unique brand personality to life through their creative concepts.
- Lead the way with graphic design and brand for Selfridges; enhancing our in store and experiential offering by using your skillset to create compelling and innovative design and content that helps shape and grow our brand.
- Develop and create inspiring creative for use across our four stores and all channels.
- Work alongside the Design team and collaborate with the wider Digital and Multimedia Creative team on creative campaigns - defining, shaping and realising innovative ideas through graphic design.
- Work alongside the graphic, digital, and production teams, a 3D motion Designer and with the wider creative studio, in realising opportunities to enhance our editorial content through strong graphic creative.
- Comfortable working on a variable scale of projects - from store guides to scheme campaign creatives and being a brand guardian across all stores and channels.
- Collaborate with other areas of the business to support their channels / needs when required.
The Ideal Candidate
- An interest in culture, media and the arts are a must; being connected and up to date with trends and movements both in and out of the industry, and constantly looking for opportunities for this to inspire your creative.
- Experience and high level of skill in typography and creative graphic design in agency / retail setting
- You’ll have a broad, impressive portfolio showing a variety of projects and creative executions, across, print, large format and small scale executions to installations, spatial concepts through to artworking, digital, with strong typographic skills.
- You’ll have demonstrative experience in a junior to mid design role, with experience and an appreciation of a collaborative approach through teamwork as well as push and develop ideas independently.
- Experience in creating graphics for retail, print, large and small format
- You’ll be used to collaborating with teams, both creative and other areas of business.
- Highly competent with the full adobe creative suite
- Ability to define and redefine design language and support the Senior Design Manager and Head of Design in evolving our brand into a bench-mark setting design leader.
- Ability to navigate through a complex and fast-paced environment
- Commercially astute. You will be attuned to both the Selfridges brand, its competitors, and the wider retail landscape of fashion, accessories, beauty, home, food and drink.
- Proven background in designing high-quality work, with an emphasis on strong typography for premium brands with a strong portfolio
- A team player
- An example of our values, a trusted and respected colleague
This job is a brilliant opportunity to join a close-knit team who are incredibly passionate about taking their brand experience to the next level.
NB: We would kindly request a copy of your CV and a creative portfolio as part of the application process.
About the Company
Everyone is welcome
Selfridges is a place where we want everyone to feel a sense of belonging. We embrace every self and are committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive working culture. We are leading with purpose to not only increase the visibility and recognition of under-represented talent within our organisation, but the wider industry too. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome – irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign. We were also recognised as a ‘Best 25 Big Company to Work For 2020’ as awarded by The Sunday Times.