Are you looking for a new challenge that gives you the chance to get creative and utilise your writing skills to produce informative and engaging copy? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career, as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
As a Selfridges Copywriter, you will be producing engaging, creative and informative product copy, helping to build our reputation as an authoritative fashion destination. Making up part of the Content Team and sitting within the Online Photostudio department, you will play a key role in delivering an extraordinary digital experience to our online customer and be integral to the smooth running of a fast-paced ecommerce studio environment.
You will be required to work independently at a fast pace, writing compelling product descriptions in line with our Selfridges tone of voice; across all of our departments. You will manage your own workload, juggling researching brands/products with writing and uploading copy to meet strict deadlines while liaising daily with multiple teams on product workflow. Your copy will be original and give our customers the confidence to make their online purchases by equally informing and inspiring them. You will work collaboratively with the rest of the Content Team to maintain copy quality and consistency, acting as the guardians of the Selfridges tone of voice.
As a Mid-Weight Copywriter you will:
- Write up to 41 product descriptions a day across all departments (Womenswear/Menswear/Home/Tech/Beauty/Food/Kids/Jewellery)
- Produce engaging, informative and accurate copy in line with the Selfridges tone of voice and house style guides
- Conduct thorough brand and product research to inform your copy whilst working independently delivering copy at pace to strict deadlines
- Sub-edit and proof-read your own work and freelance/junior copywriters as required
- Liaise daily with the wider Photostudio teams on product workflow and priorities
- Liaise daily with the Trading and Buying teams on product workflow and brand information
- Conduct daily site walks to maintain quality and consistency
- Respond to ad-hoc copy requests/queries from across the business
- Keep abreast of seasonal fashion trends and maintain good brand knowledge
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the Content Team to continuously optimise and improve our product copy, always aiming to inform but also surprise, amaze and amuse our customers with creative and original product descriptions
- Act as the guardian of the Selfridges tone of voice across all product copy, ensuring consistency and quality for our customers
- Complete ad-hoc copy related projects as required
The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a copywriting/journalism/content role (ideally fashion/lifestyle writing experience)
- Experience in an ecommerce/fashion environment
- Experience with content management systems
- Educated to degree level in a related subject (e.g. English/Journalism/Fashion/Media)
- An accomplished writer with genuine passion and enthusiasm for the English language and impeccable grammar
- Highly organised with excellent time management and meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to form strong working relationships and thrive working as a team
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently at pace to a very high standard, managing workload to strict deadlines
- Experience with proof-reading and sub-editing
- Strong awareness of fashion trends and in-depth brand knowledge
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
- Experience using a CMS platform
- PC literate in Outlook, Microsoft Word and Excel
About the Company
Our Creative Spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our Awards Cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
Everyone is welcome
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive working culture, and we see this as key to our success and our working culture. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome - irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all. We are diverse, we are inclusive, we are Selfridges.
The Fun Stuff
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development