Legal Counsel - Digital & IT
Are you looking for a new Legal Counsel role that gives you the chance to be creative and use your expertise to support a fast-moving, omni-channel, global luxury retailer? Are you passionate about enabling commercial success through providing sound legal advice, support and direction? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
As our new Legal Counsel, you’ll join a high-performing in-house Legal team dedicated to delivering extraordinary legal solutions with commercial flair, curiosity and creativity to enable Selfridges to achieve it’s vision of being the destination for the most extraordinary customer experience
You will need to be outgoing, curious, naturally intuitive and empathetic, placing value in people and demonstrating a passion for Selfridges’ business. You will be comfortable in questioning colleagues and external advisors to gain understanding and offer challenge, to advise and support colleagues within the business.
As part of this, you will:
- Ensure the business is advised promptly, proactively, commercially and pragmatically to help Selfridges be as effective as possible in achieving its strategy, vision and purpose;
- Advise key stakeholders on legal issues affecting the business in a commercially savvy way, taking into account the nature of the business, its risk appetite, providing a steer and offering a view;
- Keep colleagues and key stakeholders up to date on relevant law, compliance, legal requirements and best practice;
- Provide sound legal advice to the business, in plain English and without jargon; sometimes using and managing advice and support from external lawyers;
- Assist with legal process, disputes/ litigation and business transactions. Draft, review, negotiate and administer legal and transactional documentations. Support on business projects. Analyse and identify legal risks and implications;
- Support the legal team to be a high performing team; inspiring, supporting, coaching, supervising and leading, as required, to help the legal team get to the core of a problem quickly, to navigate legal requirements and issues whilst supporting colleagues to achieve their goals to drive the business forward.
The Ideal Candidate
• Excellent academics and great legal experience, relevant to this role and this business.
• A solicitor with 3-5 years post-qualification experience
- IT and Digital Legal experience to include negotiating with tier 1 suppliers such as IBM, Amazon, Salesforce
- General commercial legal experience / able to pick up any and all legal problems and queries
- In-house experience, particularly in the retail industry is desirable, or candidate to be able to demonstrate an understanding of the in-house role, its pace, demands and requirements
- Contract law and the general commercial laws and issues affecting a retail business;
- IT law and experience:
- Advising and supporting fast moving IT transformation Programmes with multiple work streams;
- Working closely with IT and digital project teams;
- Knowledge of the principles of agile contracting and experience drafting, negotiating and advising on agile contracts
- Drafting, negotiating and advising on full range of IT contracts including SAAS and cloud services and in particular on US contract terms
- Knowledge and experience of advising on some or all of the following:-
- Consumer law;
- Digital law (online and cyber) including social media;
- Data privacy;
- Compliance such as money laundering, health and safety, other regulatory matters;
- Intellectual property;
- Licensing law;
- Property (landlord and tenant) / construction law;
- Employment law (advising HR, TUPE).
Personal Attributes/ Behavioural Skills
- Positive, self‐driven and resourceful
- Excellent problem‐solving, analytical and organisational skills;
- Sense of curiosity and creativity;
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills;
- An ambassador for the legal team and the role of the lawyers;
- Respectful and challenging - able to influence business stakeholders;
- Excellent written and spoken English;
- Excellent attention to detail, even whilst working under pressure;
- A commercial and pragmatic approach to legal issues;
- An ability to distil complex legal issues into concise and user-friendly advice or documents;
- Resilient, able to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Able to adapt, change pace or direction and multi-task;
- An understanding of excellent customer service from the customer and service provider’s perspective;
- Able to manage budgets, consider financial implications, plan resource;
- Ability to work independently
About the Company
A BIT ABOUT US
Our creative spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
THE FUN STUFF
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development