Lead Digital Engineer
Are you looking for a new challenge in Selfridges that gives you the chance to use your knowledge of the business to take Technology to the next level? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
We are looking for an exceptional Lead Digital Engineer who is passionate about delivering change that supports the growth of our digital business through the implementation of innovative technology solutions and agile engineering practices.
You will be in a management position, responsible for driving the vision, strategy and implementation of digital systems as well as overseeing all the activities of the digital engineering teams. You will lead by example, demonstrating best practice engineering and Agile skills, demonstrating through action what ‘good’ looks like.
Based in our London office and reporting to the Head of Digital Technology, the Lead Digital Engineer sits within the wider Selfridges Technology Organisation but is focused on delivering repeatable, reliable change across our digital platforms as well as ensuring the ongoing stability and performance of the end to end solution for the customer.
This is a fantastic opportunity for the right candidate to work within a friendly, technology-led team and help shape the digital future of an iconic brand.
As the Lead Digital Engineer you will:
- Lead in defining quality metrics for digital software engineering
- To be the point of contact for any problems within software engineering
- Coach and mentor software engineers in the team
- To provide technical expertise and experience to the team and ensure that appropriate software development techniques are used
- Maintain a knowledge of emerging best practice and adopting what is most suitable for the Selfridges Digital Environment
- Be passionate about writing great code
The Ideal Candidate
- Team player who has the passion to motivate, plan and organise a team to ensure software is delivered to the highest quality
- Someone who lives and breathes Agile, and who can drive teams forward with a positive and infectious enthusiasm!
- Someone passionate about technology and can use their skills to help translate technology innovation into business benefit
- Result driven and appreciate that returning value to the business is the ultimate goal
Skills & Experience:
- Extensive experience designing and implementing web commerce applications
- Significant full stack development experience, ideally with experience in React front-end CSS framework and Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) 6.3 – 6.5
- Good experience of digital commerce solutions (ideally HCS Commerce v9), with an understanding of when to build rather than buy.
- Prior experience of delivering solutions based on open source platforms
- Experience in building solutions within a serverless architecture
- Proven experience working with teams remotely / virtually
- Knowledge and/or experience with widely successful Agile techniques: User Stories, BDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills
- Experience in building solutions following microservices oriented architecture
- Prior experience in the digital retail sector
This job is a brilliant opportunity to join a close-knit team who are incredibly passionate about taking Technology to the next level. If you’re looking to come into a new role and make a real impact, then this will be perfect for you.
About the Company
Our creative spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
THE FUN STUFF
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
• Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
• Discounted gym memberships
• Pension contributions
• Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
• A volunteer day for all team members
• Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development