Are you looking for a new Internal Audit role that gives you the chance to get creative and use your skills to provide a professional and objective internal audit and consultancy service to the business? Are you craving autonomy and a role that gives you the opportunity to make recommendations that will provide real value? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career in Audit as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
As our new Internal Auditor, you’ll be responsible for the timely execution of risk-based internal audits in accordance with the annual audit plan, as well as assisting with other audit matters and projects . As part of this, you will:
Identifying the enterprise wide assurance environment and evaluating related risk
- Maintain and develop awareness of risk issues and changes across the relevant business units
- Strong analytical skills and common sense approach to ensure audit recommendations are relevant, practical and make commercial sense
- Builds relationships with business staff and managers
Promoting Best Practice in Internal Control
- Work with management across the business to analyse issues, understand the root causes and provide help, support and practical solutions to strengthen control
- Challenge the business by posing appropriate questions
- Meet regularly with key stakeholders to review issues and best practices arising out of individual assignments and to create and execute appropriate action plans for spreading best practices
Being Responsible and Accountable for Internal Audit
- Responsibility for the execution and testing to support assignment audits, financial reviews, and special projects. This is completed in line with group methodology.
- Evaluate systems of internal controls, review administrative and operational procedures; design tests and procedures; and identify problem areas, control concerns and management issues
- Preparation of clear succinct working paper documentation, which links transparently from risk to control testing to results and supports the procedures performed and findings noted. This is completed in line with group methodology.
- Perform financial reviews and special projects arising from the request of company management, and prepares appropriate schedules and reports as necessary
- Present audit findings and issues to senior management and help agree action plans to ensure that any weaknesses noted are mitigated going forward
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders and business partners to influence control strengthening and constantly challenges senior management to succeed in strengthening controls and reducing losses
- Complete follow up reviews to ensure all action plans agreed have been implemented and are mitigating the risk to an appropriate level
- Support with the tracking, validation and reporting of open actions raised from operational audits
- Maintain both department wide risk registers and outstanding recommendation audit logs, through regularly meetings with department managers, and providing input into the company wide risk register
- Support the team in facilitating the review and management of risk within the business.
- Where necessary attend and lead divisional risk management groups.
- Produce and update supportive documentation to assist the business manage risk e.g. risk maps.
- Keep abreast of risks within Retail and the wider business environment. Be a business expert and advisor to new or emerging risks.
The Ideal Candidate
- Qualified, e.g. ACCA/ACA/CIMA or CIA
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting/Finance/Management (not mandatory)
- Experience in internal auditing is essential
- Experience of the retail sector is very beneficial
- Proactive and a self starter – this role requires considerable ability to work on your own with the Selfridges team.
- Shows initiative, passion, and decisiveness, consistently producing quality results against given deadlines
- Driven to over-achieve and exceed expectations
- Ability to work under stressful situations and time pressures
- Knowledge of accounting, general business principles and internal control concepts
- Experience in a retail environment
- Ability to earn credibility with senior management
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of retail best practices
- Thinks customer and provides customer focused solutions
- Influencing and resilience skills
- Analytical problem solving
- Awareness of internal and external best practice information
- Knowledge of the organization and information systems
- Is methodical – able to plan and organize with good attention to detail
- Interpersonal sensitivity
- A communicator – always the key to success in this role. Professionalism, empathy, influencing, and interpersonal skills, combined with clear written / verbal communication ensures this role is eminently effective and successful
About the Company
Our creative spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
THE FUN STUFF
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development