Food Safety Technologist
Food Technical are responsible for ensuring the food and drinks we sell are produced and managed in a way to ensure they are safe and of the highest quality. The Food Safety Technologist is responsible for driving food safety standards across the business and will assist with the maintenance and management of allergen compliance standards. The role will support a positive food safety culture by educating, supporting and delivering best practices to all areas of the food retail and restaurant operations.
The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of Food Safety Legislation, allergen management and will have experience of working within the food industry. They must be tenacious, and results driven but must also be approachable and supportive. An essential part of this role is the ability to build strong relationships with key stakeholders as well as the ability to influence people of all levels. Due to the nature of the role, the ideal candidate will be highly adaptable and will be able to prioritise their workload effectively.
- To ensure all food areas within the business are compliant with EU and UK Regulations
- Ensure all food areas comply with Food Safety Regulations
- Ensure own bought areas comply with HACCP, Selfridges Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs) and associated work instructions
- Ensure Concession partners comply with their own FSMS including a site-specific documented HACCP
- Conduct hygiene inspections and due diligence audits to schedule
- Produce audit reports
- To ensure that all food products sold in Selfridges comply with our allergen management protocols.
- To conduct allergen compliance audits in our stores (Foodhalls and Restaurants) - checking counter tickets, allergen matrices and menus to ensure compliance with all relevant and associated food regulations and online – for our Selfridges owned areas and our concession partners.
- To review allergen handling practices and make recommendations for improvements in accordance with industry and legislative best practice.
- To support the development of allergen training and deliver as required.
- To develop and support food safety champions across all stores.
- To deliver Selfridges food safety training programme
- Develop and deliver basic food hygiene training
- Deliver new Manager Food Technical inductions.
- Develop and support Food Safety
- Develop and support and Allergen Champions.
- Develop and deliver additional training as required i.e. allergen management, SOP roll out.
- To ensure food complaints are investigated in line with procedure
- Ensure all technical complaints are investigated according to procedure and closed off within specified timescale
- Liaise with customer services and report all findings via the online system
- Ensure corrective actions are implemented to prevent reoccurrence
- Escalate trends and high-risk complaints
- Collate customer complaints data for all stores according to schedule
- To maintain Quality Assurance for Suppliers
- Approve new suppliers on specifications system
- Ensure suppliers maintain relevant and up to date documentation on system
- Escalate non-compliance to Technical and Buying Teams
- To support in the delivery of an effective Pest Control Programme
- Liaise with pest control contractor
- ensure issues identified by team are reported correctly
- Liaise with FM and Food Management Team to close off actions on portal.
- Attend regular pest control meetings.
- To deliver Micro Sampling schedule
- Collect routine monthly samples and send to laboratory for analysis
- Collect samples relating to food complaints and send to laboratory
- Use online system to interpret results
- Communicate out of specification results to relevant parties
- Ensure resampling completed when required
- To liaise with suppliers and Restaurants Operations to resolve queries with product specifications.
- Review and approve technical specifications on online specifications management system.
- Ensure product labelling complies with EU and UK requirements
- Approve loose counter tickets for Foodhall as required
- Review loose counter tickets for Restaurants as required
- Liaise with Suppliers to resolve any issues with technical specifications as required
- To approve product specifications, counter tickets and/or allergen matrices for food and drink products sold within Restaurants
- Liaise with Food Technical, Restaurants teams and suppliers, to ensure the specifications and/or allergen matrices are accurate and approved prior to launch.
- Where necessary, highlight concerns or issues with non-compliant specifications or other documents, in good time, prior to launch to the restaurants team.
- Approve all specifications, or other documents, in-line with Selfridge’s policies, procedures and ethical trading requirements.
- Where necessary contact Food Research and Food Safety Consultants for assistance to approve specifications or product labels.
- Liaise with Ticketing Team to ensure that the correct product information is on product counter tickets on the shop floor, this information is to come from approved specifications
- Maintain effective communication
- Ensure effective communication with line manager and food technical team is maintained
- Escalate issues as required
- Attend meetings with Chefs with regards to new raw material and new menu launches.
- Support the OB Sustainable Food Sales target in our Foodhalls and Restaurants through a robust supplier assurance and product approval process delivering compliant, yet innovative ranges.
- Support the ongoing Project Earth to promote fish and seafood sustainability with Selfridges Foodhalls and restaurants.
The Ideal Candidate
- Passion for Food Safety and Quality
- Excellent communication/interpersonal skills
- Ability to influence people at all levels
- Adaptable to change
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Good organisational skills and ability to prioritise
- Strong sense of ownership and ability to follow tasks through to completion
- Strong Microsoft office skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience of using online internal systems i.e. Oracle, Salesforce, Traceall
- Degree/HND in Food Science, Environmental Health or related discipline
- Intermediate Food Hygiene (Advanced preferable but not essential)
- Level 3 HACCP (Qualification preferable but not essential)
- Minimum 6 months experience of maintaining hygiene standards
- Understanding of food composition
- Understanding of basic nutrition
About the Company
Rewards and benefits
Here are just a few of our rewards and benefits that help make our team experience that bit more extraordinary.
Flexible working options to benefit you, your family and your wellbeing that can include part-time, flexi-time, job sharing or hybrid working
Generous annual leave that increases with length of service
Up to five paid volunteering days – from beach cleans to co-ordinating food and clothing donations
Family leave that suits your set up including Maternity, Paternity, Adoption, Surrogacy and Shared Parental leave policies
Defined pension contribution scheme
Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
Enviable team member discount including sale previews and double discount days
Exclusive local discounts on a range of restaurants, bars, beauticians and entertainment
Subsidised gym memberships
A sustainable car salary sacrifice scheme (subject to eligibility criteria)
Several internal communities to get involved in from our Diversity Board and Green Warriors who are leading the charge on D,E&I and sustainability, to the Wellbeings who are always thinking of new ways to champion healthy minds, bodies and routines for our team members
Workplace Options, our confidential team member assistance programme for when life gets tricky or you need a little guidance
Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development
Read on to find out how you can play your part in Reinventing Retail…
Everyone is welcome
Selfridges is a place where we want everyone to feel a sense of belonging. We embrace every self and are committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive working culture. We are leading with purpose to not only increase the visibility and recognition of under-represented talent within our organisation, but the wider industry too. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome – irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all.
To ensure every feels welcome, we offer support at every stage of the application and interview process. Should you need it, please let your recruitment contact know and they will be more than happy to help.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign. We were also recognised as a ‘Best 25 Big Company to Work For 2020’ as awarded by The Sunday Times.