Food Safety Technologist
Are you looking for a new challenge that gives you the chance to drive food safety standards in our Selfridges stores? Do you have a passion for food safety and quality, and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career, as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
The Food Technical team are responsible for ensuring the food and drinks we sell are produced and managed in a way to ensure they are safe and of the highest quality. The Food Safety Technologist is responsible for driving food safety standards across the business. The role will support a positive food safety culture by educating, supporting and delivering best practices to all areas of the food retail and restaurant operations.
An essential part of this role is the ability to build strong relationships with key stakeholders as well as the ability to influence people of all levels. Due to the nature of the role, the ideal candidate will be highly adaptable and will be able to prioritise their workload effectively.
As our Food Safety Technologist you will:
- Ensure all food areas within the business are compliant with EU and UK Regulations
- Ensure all food areas comply with Food Safety Regulations
- Ensure own bought areas comply with HACCP, Selfridges Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs) and associated work instructions
- Ensure Concession partners comply with their own FSMS including a site-specific documented HACCP
- Conduct hygiene inspections and due diligence audits to schedule
- Produce audit reports
- Deliver Selfridges food safety training programme
- Develop and deliver basic food hygiene training
- Deliver new Manager Food Technical inductions.
- Develop and support Food Safety
- Develop and support and Allergen Champions.
- Develop and deliver additional training as required i.e. allergen management, SOP roll out.
- Ensure food complaints are investigated in line with procedure
- Ensure all technical complaints are investigated according to procedure and closed off within specified timescale
- Liaise with customer services and report all findings via the online system
- Ensure corrective actions are implemented to prevent reoccurrence
- Escalate trends and high-risk complaints
- Collate customer complaints data for all stores according to schedule
- Maintain Quality Assurance for Suppliers
- Approve new suppliers on specifications system
- Ensure suppliers maintain relevant and up to date documentation on system
- Escalate non-compliance to Technical and Buying Teams
- Support in the delivery of an effective Pest Control Programme
- Liaise with pest control contractor
- Attend regular pest control meetings
- To deliver Micro Sampling schedule
- Collect routine monthly samples and send to laboratory for analysis
- Collect samples relating to food complaints and send to laboratory
- Review and approve technical specifications on online specifications management system
- Ensure product labelling complies with EU and UK requirements
- Review loose counter tickets for Restaurants as required
- Liaise with Suppliers and Buyers to resolve any issues with tickets or technical specifications
The Ideal Candidate
- Passionate about Food Safety and Quality
- Excellent in communication/interpersonal skills
- Able to influence people at all levels
- Adaptable to change
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Experienced in Microsoft office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experienced in using online internal systems i.e. Oracle, Salesforce, Traceall
- Degree/HND in Food Science, Environmental Health or related discipline
- Intermediate Food Hygiene (Advanced preferable but not essential)
- Level 3 HACCP (Qualification preferable but not essential)
- Group presentation skills (Qualification preferable but not essential)
- Minimum 6 months experience of maintaining hygiene standards
About the Company
Our Creative Spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our Awards Cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
The Fun Stuff
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development