Are you looking for a Financial Analyst role that gives you the opportunity to work for one of the world's leading retail brands? Want to work as part of a dedicated Finance team, who can support you in growing your knowledge? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
The Leicester Head Office Finance team structure includes 4 key areas of responsibility, namely Financial Accounting, Treasury, Payroll & HR Admin and Accounts Processing, all reporting to the Financial Controller.
This role, sitting in the Financial Accounting area has a wide remit providing a variety of experience across Financial Accounting along with additional involvement in the monthly management accounts reporting process. The role will also provide good exposure to the operational side of the business via the business partnering with the Accounts Payable and Receivable teams.
As a key contact within the Financial Accounting team, the jobholder will possess strong communication skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of individuals both within the business and when representing Selfridges externally, delivering an extraordinary experience for all customers.
Reporting to the Financial Accounting Manager, the Financial Analyst will have exposure to a variety of areas within finance, including Financial Accounting, monthly management reporting and providing specialist support to other teams within the Leicester Finance function.
The role offers excellent future development opportunities within the wider remit of the Finance function. Future plans for this role involving cross-training across the other areas covered by the Financial Accounting team and opportunities to provide business support to different areas of the business based at the Leicester offices allowing the job holder to continuously grow and develop within the Finance team.
- Support the Financial Controller with the review and continuous improvement of the Company’s month balance sheet reconciliations.
- Providing feedback to reconciliation owners/preparers across the wider Finance team to ensure thorough review and follow-up of any issues timely
- Preparation of monthly balance sheet reconciliations for the Company’s occupancy costs including rent, rates and insurance costs
- Supporting the Financial Controller and Financial Accounting Manager with the preparation and/or review of other monthly balance sheet reconciliations as required including Treasury, inter-company, and Capital Assets.
- Support the Financial Controller and Financial Accounting Manager with monthly balance sheet variance analysis including input and commentary for specific accounts to this role
- Primary reviewer of the Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable teams’ monthly balance sheet and account reconciliations, providing feedback and raising training issues as requiredCo-ordination of the monthly supplier statement reconciliation process by the Accounts Payable team, ensuring completion in line with KPIs and that the Accounts Payable team are following up on any issues arising timely and any issues are raised to the FC and FAM.
- A key contact for all internal and external audits
- Assistance with ONS compliance
Monthly Management Reporting
- Providing monthly reporting and variance analysis around all occupancy costs (rent, rates, insurances etc) for review by the Financial Accounting Manager.
- In conjunction with the above, maintaining up to date records of all property-related / occupancy costs and work with the Accounts Payable team to ensure timely payment of all related invoices.
- As the role develops, there will be further opportunities to cross-train across other areas and provide back-up support for the monthly analysis of fixed assets, depreciation, and treasury-related costs.
- Provision of financial data for budget and forecasting purposes to support the London FP&A team as required.
- Provide first-line business partnering support to the Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable teams, advising on financial issues and supporting the Financial Controller in creating a wider awareness of the impact of the team on the wider business.
- Primary review of and assistance with the monthly AP and AR reconciliations prepared by the local teams to ensure timely and high quality deliverables.
- Working closely with the Accounts Payable Manager, lead the monthly review of aged GRNI, AP and AR balances ensuring issues are raised with the business as appropriate.
- Continuous process improvement within the Processing areas including the development and reporting of KPIs to the Financial Controller.
- Co-ordination and completion of regular internal controls testing around the AP/AR areas including masterfile changes and new suppliers
- Assisting the Financial Controller with the periodic review of processes and controls with a view to continuous improvements.
Others & Further Development Opportunities
- To represent the finance community in line with the Selfridges values and embed into the teams ways of working
- To contribute towards the creation and delivery of the Finance People Plan
- Future opportunities to cross-train across the team’s roles and responsibilities to develop a wide experience of working within a finance team and set the job holder up for future progression within the team/wider business
- Opportunities to take on responsibilities for team member training and development across departments across the Leicester site.
- A range of opportunities to join one of Selfridges’ communities which operate across all sites
The Ideal Candidate
Key Skills and Experience
- Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA)
- Proactive self-starter with a drive to continually improve processes and outputs to provide a first class service to all stakeholders.
- Inquisitive and curious with a questioning nature and keen to gain a deep understanding of all areas of the business relevant to the role
- Strong accounting knowledge, with proven experience of reconciling complex accounts and transactions
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability and desire to unravel complex accounting queries, taking ownership of all tasks
- Experience of completing balance sheet reconciliations with a good understanding of the requirements of the reconciliation process to enable to job holder to perform a robust review of any account reconciliations.
- Strong MS Excel skills
- Excellent communication/interpersonal skills
- Highly organized with ability to manage a varied and changeable workload and the ability to prioritise and work to tight deadlines
- Flexible and able to work in a changeable, dynamic environment
- The role is based in Leicester with occasional travel to other offices (primarily London) as required
About the Company
Our Creative Spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
The Fun Stuff
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programs to help your career development