Finance Analyst - Masterplan
Selfridges are a forward-thinking business who believe in creating amazing destinations for their customers and team members. They are on a continuing programme of investment into their store and head offices spaces – covering retail fit out, M&E and structural. This totals in excess of £400m over 5 years.
The key objectives of the Masterplan finance team are as follows:
- To deliver an effective and transparent capital approval and monitoring process for the Store And Head Office investment spaces
- To drive clarity and governance across the Masterplan program to ensure effective decision making
- Provide accurate and insightful financial information for Masterplan
- Business partner with the property, procurement and other stakeholders to ensure the cost of running the spaces is effectively managed and delivers value for money (facilities, utilities, cleaning)
- Ensure P&L and project capital costs are managed to budget and any risks and opportunities are highlighted early
- Ensure all assets are accurately recorded, depreciated and supported for audit purposes
- Ensure the Masterplan finance team are fully integrated across the property team, not just with one point of contact
This role is designed to support the Finance Manager – Investment in delivering these processes, controls and reporting in order to deliver these objectives across the Masterplan program.
The role will need to work closely with the Non Store Investment Finance Team, and also the Stores & B&M Finance Team, to be able to support providing a holistic view on the investment strategy through to progress of an individual investment.
The role will support in building meaningful KPIs and reporting across all Masterplan Investment areas to provide accurate and insightful reporting, enable benchmarking and ensure better decision making.
The role will work closely with other areas of finance, and also be fully integrated into the Selfridges property project teams.
This role will give the right candidate the exposure to multiple disciplines within finance and is designed to help ensure that there is clarity, transparency and governance across the Masterplan program and specifically commercial retail projects.
This role is responsible for producing consolidated reporting across the Total Selfridges Investment portfolio.
In addition, the role is responsible for ensuring all retail assets are accurately recorded and depreciated, calling out financial risks and opportunities to the Director of Finance - Investment. It requires the ability work with finance and non-professionals of all levels, and a desire to create, improve and simplify processes and models.
Activities, Forums and Tasks below
- Month end processing, accruals and positioning for flash and final month end accounts for elements of the P&L
- Supporting the approval process for investments that vary for a few hundred pounds, to multiple millions.
- Working with the Finance Manager and Senior Finance Manager, the role will learn and help deliver insightful, consolidated capital reporting regarding our Masterplan investments on a monthly and ad hoc basis.
- Learning how to challenge and support various stakeholders with their applications for investment – whether retail, mechanical and electrical, sustainability focused or benefit driving.
- Accurate balance sheet recording, working with the investment capital processing team, to ensure the correct useful economic life and hence depreciation period is being applied on capitalization.
- Support a forecasting, budgeting and 5YP process for communication, reviewing and then challenging our investment roadmap.
- Take ownership for all AFEs <£50k in value including AFE application and ongoing management of cost and timing
- Support the management of the brand contributions process to ensure all contributions are accurately supported, recorded and collected
- Support the SFM and FM deal with any adhoc property related queries and analysis
The Ideal Candidate
- Be studying towards a recognised accountancy qualification, or newly qualified
- Some management accounting experience and exposure is highly desired
- Receptive to change with a desire to continuously improve processes and outputs
- Ability to work to a high standard of accuracy with excellent attention to detail
- Highly organized and efficient – able to discuss priorities with their line manager
- Ability to work under pressure, flexing to the needs to the business timeframes such as budget / forecast
- Knowledge and experience in project accounts desired but not essential; but a willingness to learn
- Some experience in construction / building cost accounting is desired but not essential
- Good communication/ interpersonal and influencing skills
- PC skills (very good excel/ word / good powerpoint are critical)
- Proactive, self-starter
Additional skills for current working environment
- Self-starter with experience of understanding, documenting and challenging and hence improving existing processes
- Ability to consolidate knowledge from different departments within Finance and Property
- Ability for some travel; not expected to be extensive, to other stores for project related information