Employee Relations Consultant
Are you looking for a Employee Relations Consultant role that gives you the chance to combine your passion for retail with a genuine interest in people? Want to work as part of a dedicated ER team with the opportunity to truly partner with the business on all things ER related? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
Purpose of role
As an Employee Relations Consultant, you are the first point of contact for line managers to provide professional and efficient advice and support on all employee relations issues. Working with Line Managers across the organisation, on all types of employee relations cases, ensuring they understand and adhere to company policy and procedures and make fair, objective and consistent decisions.
The role primarily provides support to our Oxford Street and Birmingham Stores therefore regular travel will be required between those stores. Occasional travel to Manchester may also be required
Support and advice will cover the full range of employee relations issues so previous experience is essential. The ability to be flexible and adaptable is also a key attribute required for the role.
- Ensure prompt and effective case management of all employee relations matters including but not limited to disciplinaries, grievances, absence management, performance management, flexible working, TUPE and redundancies.
- Provide efficient and practical employee relations advice and support to line managers on ER cases both face to face and over the phone / via email.
- Ability to challenge line managers on their management of process and the decisions they make to ensure consistency and fairness as well as assessing risk.
- Demonstrates empathy and objectivity when supporting ER matters
- Influence line managers to take ownership and accountability for the performance and development of their team members as well as managing their conduct when it falls below the expectations.
- Design and deliver training for line managers to assist them in improving their employee relations skills and capability
- Create template letters and processes to provide guidance and structure for line managers as well as reviewing letters that managers have drafted.
- Escalate more complex cases to the Employee Relations Manager and Senior Employee Relations Manager
- Maintain up to date knowledge of employment legislation and company policy and procedure
- Keep accurate and timely information in line with GDPR
Maintaining policy and procedure in line with best practice and Selfridges Values
- Review, update and draft HR policy and procedure, working collaboratively with the HR Leadership team.
- Work with the internal communications team to communicate all policy changes to the wider business
- Keeps self and team up to date on relevant legal changes and any impact on policy and procedure
ER data capture and analysis
- Manage and maintain the employee relations tracker, ensuring the information is up to date and accurate.
- Produce statistical information and reports using the employee relations tracker on a monthly basis for review by the business
- Track and identify trends in data to make informed decisions regarding interventions and training to reduce employee relations cases
Systems and administration
- Maintain accurate digital files of all employee relations cases, ensuring these are GDPR compliant
- Upload closed employee relations cases to HR safe on a regular basis
- Monitor and review the right to work reports on a monthly basis and take action to address issues as they arise
- Process employee relations invoices for Senior Employee Relations Manager
The Ideal Candidate
Key skills and experience
- Prior experience of managing a high volume of Employee Relations cases
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- An ability to operate at pace and manage multiple cases at any one time
- Have an empathetic and objective approach to case management
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships at all levels
- Excellent analytical and organisational skills, with good attention to detail
- Ability to make decisions using good judgement; pragmatic approach to problem solving
- Operate with professionalism and discretion, ensuring confidentiality
- Good general IT skills including Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Act as an ambassador of the Selfridges brand
About the Company
Our Creative Spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
The Fun Stuff
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programs to help your career development