Selfridges has always been much more than a shop. We’re a social space where everyone is welcome and feels a sense of belonging, a creative playground where culture and commerce collide, and an experimental hub where you can discover the most innovative and sustainable ideas in retail. We’re here to help make the world brighter. And you can be an important part of this. We’ll talk more about the role below, but before we get to that, let’s share with you the good stuff…
Rewards and benefits
Life at Selfridges is dynamic, exciting, and always evolving. As well as working with some of the most cutting-edge, iconic and boundary-pushing brands, designers and creatives, we also offer our team members opportunities to help make a positive difference through our network of communities, both within and outside Selfridges. Here are just a few of our rewards and benefits that help make our team experience that bit more extraordinary.
Flexible working options to benefit you, your family and your wellbeing that can include part-time, flexi-time, job sharing or hybrid working
Generous annual leave that increases with length of service
Up to five paid volunteering days – from beach cleans to co-ordinating food and clothing donations
Family leave that suits your set up including Maternity, Paternity, Adoption, Surrogacy and Shared Parental leave policies
Defined pension contribution scheme
Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
Enviable team member discount including sale previews and double discount days
Exclusive local discounts on a range of restaurants, bars, beauticians and entertainment
Subsidised gym memberships
Annual travel pass and cycle-to-work schemes
A sustainable car salary sacrifice scheme
Several internal communities to get involved in from our Diversity Board and Green Warriors who are leading the charge on D,E&I and sustainability, to the Wellbeings who are always thinking of new ways to champion healthy minds, bodies and routines for our team members
Workplace Options, our confidential team member assistance programme for when life gets tricky or you need a little guidance
Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development
Read on to find out how you can play your part in Reinventing Retail…
Based in our London or Leicester offices you’ll provide a unique and tailored service in IT to customers both internally and externally, going beyond the ordinary to create memorable interactions and deliver. Our customers expect extraordinary service delivered by people with a genuine passion for what they do and to share their unparalleled level of knowledge whilst taking enormous pride in maintaining our exceptionally high standards.
We are transforming our Selfridges platforms using the latest technologies
You will be a technical professional designing and implementing the cloud platform products that are key for Selfridges success while championing the IaC, CI/CD, and cloud practices across the business.
As part of the DevOps team, you will be crafting solutions to continuously evolve the underlying technology of our applications and infrastructure, as well as improving processes and standards to ensure the continuous delivery of customer value.
As part of a product-focused engineering team, you will engage with other tech teams, product and leadership to expand the breadth and depth of our technical capabilities, helping us meet the needs of our growing business.
You will work in the DevOps chapter across our tech teams, led by our Principal DevOps Engineer and be responsible for:
- Designing, building, and maintaining a platform that addresses the business needs and continuously improves the efficiency for its users.
- Building the cloud platform provisioning process, aiming to increase operational availability, repeatability & efficiency, while ensuring control, policies and auditing are in place.
- Advancing innovation efforts to enable the evolution and continuous improvement of all cloud products and processes.
- Supporting your assigned squad(s) with Platform Engineering expertise including Cloud, CDN, Deployments, IDAM etc
- Collaborating with the chapter on approach, methodology, tooling to ensure a unified and coordinated way of working is adopted.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Maintain a customer-centric approach with a focus on user experience, while increasing reliability, availability, security, scalability, and supportability of the platform.
- Follow, implement and own best practices across the cloud platform products and processes.
- Engage with other cross-functional teams across tech and other areas of the organization as necessary, to collaborate, support, and gain the knowledge and context that will allow you to evolve and improve how we deliver customer value.
- Embrace a culture of innovation and continuous improvement within the DevOps team, adopting fast prototyping techniques and continuous exploration of new ideas.
The Ideal Candidate
As DevOps Engineer, you will be working closely with Selfridges teams and delivery squads to deliver an extraordinary customer experience.
This is a thrilling opportunity and when you consider all of the exciting new projects we have coming up this year, this role will take you on a journey across all aspects of the organisation – from the customer experience, to source & supply and middleware – we are embedding DevOps into all aspects of our organisation.
- Strong and demonstrable AWS experience. Critical for this role
- Strong Terraform skills, and experience building reusable modules
- Good exposure to automation (such as Ansible) and scripting languages (Python, Go, Typescript etc) a plus.
- Solid experience designing and implementing deployment pipelines, such as Github Actions / Jenkins
- Good understanding of core infrastructure services (Compute, Disk IO, Memory, performance and hardening methods), serverless technologies and networking (WAF, NAT, Routing etc)
- An Agile background/culture, preferably working with scrum or Kanban teams
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Detailed knowledge of monitoring, alerting and capacity management strategies will be highly beneficial
- A good understanding of test patterns and tooling will be beneficial but not essential
- Experience in mid to large retail focused organizations highly desirable
- You may be called upon outside of hours in the event of system or service issues.
About the Company
Everyone is welcome
Selfridges is a place where we want everyone to feel a sense of belonging. We embrace every self and are committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive working culture. We are leading with purpose to not only increase the visibility and recognition of under-represented talent within our organisation, but the wider industry too. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome – irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign. We were also recognised as a ‘Best 25 Big Company to Work For 2020’ as awarded by The Sunday Times.