Design Manager - Store Space Innovation
Are you looking for a new challenge that gives you the chance to deliver world class environments through highly professional design coordination and management? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career in store design as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
In many ways the Selfridges ‘Corner Shop’ set in to our world class Accessories Hall is the gateway in to our Oxford Street store. This role requires an outstanding candidate to design and deliver amazing concepts within the Corner Shop which pushes the boundaries of retail and experience and sets the Selfridges tone as our customers enter the store. This space has already delivered fantastic and varied concepts from art shops, curated retail concepts, huge exclusive brand destinations, and worldwide exclusive product launches. It continues to set the bar for our customer retail and creative experience
As part of your role as the Design Manager – Store Space Innovation:
- Lead the creative design and delivery for Selfridges own ‘Corner Shop’ projects
- Responsible for taking Selfridges creative scheme direction and interpret this in to creative and engaging retail destinations
- Work with brands on design concepts for brand led schemes. Ensure schemes meet our creative vision and adhere to guideline principles
- Participate in post-project reviews and design analysis
- Attend and lead project meetings with key project stakeholders
- Work collaboratively with key Selfridges stakeholders to develop and deliver each design concept
- Management of project timescales and budgets
- Ensure timely and sufficient design information is passed all required parties
- Ensure designs meet or exceed defined quality standards and compliance with requirements of legislation and/or external authorities
- Ensure internal design approvals and financial sanctions are obtained at appropriate stages
- Coordinate site works with outgoing brands/concept and incoming project installations
- Carry out research trips both industry and cultural. Candidate must have a in depth knowledge of art, design and the frontiers of retail
- Manage and adhere to Selfridges filing, archiving and communication standards to ensure to provide retrievable database for Selfridges’ property portfolio
- Encourage and promote an understanding of the Selfridges brand values amongst external consultants
You’ll be reporting into the Lead Design Manager whilst supporting the Design team, Property Team, Creative Team and Buying Team in all strategic planning and design related matters to deliver best in class solutions for all stores.
The Ideal Candidate
- ‘Expert’ understanding of the market place
- Innovative and highly creative approach – able to develop and implement new ideas in cost effective ways
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship skills
- Resilience and ability to work under pressure on many diverse projects
- In depth knowledge and interest in art, design and creative
- In depth Knowledge of Drawing packages and project specific drawings packs
- Knowledge of technical aspects of construction practice and practical site experience
- Experience in working large teams with different and varied di disciplines
- Experience in Larger Project delivery
This job is a brilliant opportunity to join a close-knit team who are incredibly passionate about designing extraordinary environments. If you’re looking to come into a new role and make a real impact, then this will be perfect for you.
About the Company
We are a shop run on imagination: a place where the world’s most covetable brands combine with the most extraordinary spectacles, events and ideas for an experience like no other.
We have challenged the rules of retail from day one, whilst demonstrating our unwavering commitment to sustainability. In 2016, we were the first to be awarded with recognition for the ‘World’s Best Sustainability Campaign by a Department Store’ at the IGDS Global Department Store Summit, in-line with its focus on buying better and inspiring change. We are also recognised as the Best Department Store in the World (2010, 2012, 2014 & 2018) underlining our place at the forefront of retail. In 2018 we were recognised as a LinkedIn Top Company to work for.
Our vision is to be the destination for the most extraordinary customer experience, and our people are central to us achieving this. As an employer we are committed to making Selfridges an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work