Creative Presentation Assistant Manager
Selfridges has always been much more than a shop. We’re a social space where everyone is welcome and feels a sense of belonging, a creative playground where culture and commerce collide, and an experimental hub where you can discover the most innovative and sustainable ideas in retail. We’re here to help make the world brighter. And you can be an important part of this. We’ll talk more about the role below, but before we get to that, let’s share with you the good stuff…
Rewards and benefits
Life at Selfridges is dynamic, exciting, and always evolving. As well as working with some of the most cutting-edge, iconic and boundary-pushing brands, designers and creatives, we also offer our team members opportunities to help make a positive difference through our network of communities, both within and outside Selfridges. Here are just a few of our rewards and benefits that help make our team experience that bit more extraordinary.
Flexible working options to benefit you, your family and your wellbeing that can include part-time, flexi-time, job sharing or hybrid working
Generous annual leave that increases with length of service
Up to five paid volunteering days – from beach cleans to co-ordinating food and clothing donations
Family leave that suits your set up including Maternity, Paternity, Adoption, Surrogacy and Shared Parental leave policies
Defined pension contribution scheme
Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
Enviable team member discount including sale previews and double discount days
Exclusive local discounts on a range of restaurants, bars, beauticians and entertainment
Subsidised gym memberships
Annual travel pass and cycle-to-work schemes
A sustainable car salary sacrifice scheme
Several internal communities to get involved in from our Diversity Board and Green Warriors who are leading the charge on D,E&I and sustainability, to the Wellbeings who are always thinking of new ways to champion healthy minds, bodies and routines for our team members
Workplace Options, our confidential team member assistance programme for when life gets tricky or you need a little guidance
Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development
Read on to find out how you can play your part in Reinventing Retail…
As Creative Presentation Assistant Manager you will be responsible for delivering VM creative that will inspire and entice customers, and deliver excellent VM merchandising standards. You will also oversee the Visual Merchandising team and provide support to the VM Manager.
- To create visually compelling installations and styling throughout the store. Ensure merchandising presentation standards, attention to detail & execution is of the highest calibre.
- Shop the competition and research trends to ensure that Selfridges is the destination for visual impact.
- Support the teams development through effective role modelling and influencing skills across the business.
- Regularly perform comparative ‘shops’ of new and inspirational places to maintain an understanding and awareness of competition, direction and key brands.
- Work on product presentation, setting and agreeing standards and benchmarking against competitors.
- Be proactively involved in implementing themed installations within your departments, working within a close knit cross-functional team that is able to ‘Own It & Deliver’.
- Work closely with the Retail Operations team to train them on merchandising standards and maintenance.
- Work closely with key contacts in Buying & Merchandising and Retail Operations to agree brand adjacencies and product layouts to maximise sales potential.
- Locate and/or source fixtures for brands when departments move and you’ll be liaising with the Buying & Merchandising team to organise, monitor and manage brand collaborations.
- Communicate schemes and ideas to buyers and Retail Operations with a Powerpoint pack, a minimum of 2 weeks before installation, so we can ‘Work As One’ with a clear vision.
- Train entry level team members on VM standards.
- Seek to continuously raise the benchmark and improve standards through ongoing development , coaching and performance management of the team
- Support to build a close knit functional visual team that will own it & deliver.
- Ensure all team members are fully briefed on key business messages and communications in a timely and inspirational manner.
- Motivate the team to achieve targets by monitoring performance, giving feedback and addressing any concerns in a timely manner.
- Promote a positive working environment that maintains team morale and motivation
- Constantly & consistently support driving the team to set new standards of presentation
- Store-walk regularly with team and review & drive standards to generate action plans. Set team up with daily priorities and follow up
- Challenge team on communication with sales floor teams to ensure two way communication is in place and all tasks are communicated effectively and all actions are completed
- Involve team in decision making to ensure all team members contribute to creative briefs
- Follow up and ensure that all H&S training is current and complete within the team
- Work closely with peers and stakeholders to ensure consistency in all installations
- Build strong working relationships with key stakeholders, to generate ideas on own bought areas and help drive sales
- Influencing key stakeholders to support VM aims and objectives
- Adopts a strategic approach to VM in your Divisions, whilst maintaining consistent delivery of daily VM activity
- Create visually exciting installations with team in line with your own creative briefs & seasonal schemes
- Demonstrates in-depth product knowledge across your Divisions
- Appreciation of the difference between VM in luxury and volume sales areas of the store
- Drive improvement in our visual standards, working cross functionally with other departments to agree the accepted standard
- Research and develop ideas from initial brief, develop mood boards and comp shop to find the most creative solutions
- Shop the competition regularly to understand external brand’s identity
- Walk the store to ensure that VM is maintained & product is merchandised to the highest standard
- Appreciates the pace at which the business operates and can flex VM offer accordingly
The Ideal Candidate
- An effective short, medium & long term planner
- Ability to manage budgets and expenses
- PC literate
- Flexibility to work non office hours and overnight to support installations
- Experienced. With proven established experience in a similar VM role. A Creative/Art background would be an advantage with proven ability in both merchandising and mannequin styling
- Calm within busy environment. You are able to prioritise, having good time management and are adaptive, with the ability to multi-task effectively
- A great communicator, both verbal and written. You excel in the relationships you build with your team and stakeholders
- Adaptive, with the ability to multi-task effectively and switch planning due to the reactive nature of the business.
- Highly organised with excellent time management and meticulous attention to detail
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently at pace to a very high standard, managing workload to strict deadlines
- Aware of trends and brand knowledge. You will be up to date with trends and constantly looking for opportunities for this to inspire your work
- An example of our values, a trusted and respected colleague
About the Company
Everyone is welcome
Selfridges is a place where we want everyone to feel a sense of belonging. We embrace every self and are committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive working culture. We are leading with purpose to not only increase the visibility and recognition of under-represented talent within our organisation, but the wider industry too. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome – irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign. We were also recognised as a ‘Best 25 Big Company to Work For 2020’ as awarded by The Sunday Times.