Creative Direction Manager
Creativity is at the heart of what makes Selfridges special. From creative schemes to sustainability, our website to our architecture, the Creative Direction team is the in-house agency that makes sure everything we do sits at the intersection of commerce and creativity. If you want to be a key part of that team and work for a company that will further your career and provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work then apply below.
The Creative Direction team provides the business with creative concepts and future-thinking research material spanning creative schemes, advertising campaigns, architecture and retail spaces, customer experience, brand guardianship, customer behaviour, business culture, alternative business models, and future opportunities and risks.
As our new Creative Direction Manager, you’ll provide Creative Direction in the form of creative briefs, brand positioning advice, and creative and cultural insight, to support Selfridges’ business strategy. As part of this, you will:
- Undertake extensive research, both online and in-house as well as out in the field, where you’ll visit relevant competitors, seminars, exhibitions and events both in the UK and abroad.
- Keep up-to-date with all current creative and cultural movements including fashion, art, design, architecture, food, health and retail (so the remit is pretty broad!)
- Create original concepts for retail, content, marketing and brand culture projects for our physical spaces as well as online.
- Write and structure high quality copy and images for presentations as well as design layouts and graphic identities for presentations.
- Organise and run creative workshops and brainstorming sessions.
- Manage and develop a team where you’ll support them in their career fulfilment and professional growth. You’ll cultivate a positive culture with a can-do attitude, motivating not only your direct reports, but the rest of the team too.
You’ll be reporting into the Senior Creative Direction Manager as well as managing your own direct reports, making sure they’re meeting their performance objectives, whilst mentoring, supporting and facilitating their career progression where you can.
The Ideal Candidate
- You’ll be a BA/MA graduate in art, design, fashion, journalism or similar creative field.
- You’ll thrive in a fast-paced environment where you can expect the unexpected and still meet tight deadlines.
- You’ll be a creative thinker by nature who appreciates creativity in others.
- You’re driven and have an effortless ability to present to senior leadership with confidence and flair.
- A strong communicator, you’ll be able to influence hearts and minds at all levels within the organisation.
- You’ll have no problem expressing your honest opinion with the ability to provide direction and guidance in meetings with other teams.
- You’ll be super flexible and enjoy working as part of a busy team where there is a keen interest in pop culture, the arts and social anthropology – there is never a dull moment in Creative Direction!
This job is a fantastic opportunity to join an exceptionally talented team who are passionate about pushing the Selfridges brand to its creative limits. If you’re looking to immerse yourself in a creative environment, then this role will be perfect for you. It doesn’t just stop at Creative Direction either - we have lots of opportunities to get involved and collaborate on projects and in communities internally, so no two days will ever be the same. As Harry Gordon Selfridge once said, ‘There’s no fun like work!’
About the Company
Our creative spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
THE FUN STUFF
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development