Are you looking for a new challenge that gives you the chance to use your knowledge of the business to take Technology to the next level? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
This is a vital role, working in a dynamic team delivering the next generation digital platform to support Selfridges.com.
As a result of continuing growth, we are looking for a few strong WebSphere Commerce Developers with varying levels of experience. We are looking for candidates with exposure to web based J2EE technologies required to deliver successful Client projects, including installing, configuring, and developing customised code for WebSphere Commerce.
This is a fantastic opportunity for the right candidate to work within a friendly, innovative retail company which prides itself on delivering their customers with an extraordinary experience online.
As Commerce Engineer you will:
- Work as part of our programme team migrating Selfridges.com from WebSphere Commerce V6 on to HCL Commerce V9.
- Work alongside our development partner, Wunderman Thomson Commerce, for the duration of the programme, building strong working relationships with this partner.
- Form the heart of our Digital Checkout & Account Product Team as we land the programme and transition into an agile-based product model.
- You will be involved in developing custom Controller Commands, EJBs and JSPs.
- Perform the maintenance and modification of programs currently in production and coding new applications from predefined program specifications
- Work cross functionally with the Digital Team - Trading, Marketing, CX & Operations and the wider Selfridges IT team.
The Ideal Candidate
- WebSphere Commerce (WC) functional architecture (e.g. store, catalogue, merchandising, marketing, orders)
- WC frameworks (e.g. Command framework, MVC,)
- WC search
- Common WC data models (User, Orders, Catalogs, Promotions etc.)
- WC messaging infrastructure (inbound and outbound, REST, MQ, BOD)
- WC persistence layer (SDO and EJB/access/data beans)
- Customisation of all of the above
- WC development environment, SVN and GIT repos
- Java and J2EE development (e.g. JSP, EJB, JPA, Struts, Spring, core JAVA)
- Develop performant and secure code (incl. SQL) for high-traffic production use, following pre-defined principles and guidelines
- Demonstrate and develop to WC best practices, especially with regards to security and customisations
- Have a working knowledge of Dynacache
- Have good front-end development skills in HTML, CSS and JS frameworks (e.g. JQuery) and are familiar with Ajax
- An understanding of WC architecture and deployment models (e.g. 3-tier, de-coupled storefront/search)
- Experience developing headless WC solutions
- An interest in the ongoing developments of WC (e.g. xC programming model, JPA)
- Web-tier configuration experience (e.g. Apache)
- Working knowledge of application server technologies (e.g. WebSphere Application Server)
- Having worked on solutions utilising edge-caches and CDNs
Talented, enthusiastic, focused, eye for detail, professional; Keen to learn and to challenge for smarter ways of doing things; a team player proud of their work who wants to share it. You like working in a fast-paced environment and are ready to inspire outstanding online shopper experiences for consumers, no matter what device or channel!
You will have a customer-first mindset, with the maturity and initiative to do what it takes to achieve results.
This job is a brilliant opportunity to join a close-knit team who are incredibly passionate about taking Technology to the next level. If you’re looking to come into a new role and make a real impact, then this will be perfect for you
About the Company
Our creative spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
THE FUN STUFF
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
• Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
• Discounted gym memberships
• Pension contributions
• Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
• A volunteer day for all team members
• Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development