Buyer - Toys - Fixed Term Contract
Are you looking for a new challenge that gives you the chance to get creative and use your knowledge and expertise in Buying? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career in Buying as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
As a buyer you will be responsible for the buy of our Toy department. You will source new brands and product and negotiate the best terms for Selfridges, manage existing brands and concessions and work with marketing to drive sales and maximise profitability. You will manage and develop a small team where relevant.
As our Toys Buyer you will:
- Source new brands and product in line with the strategy through knowledge and expertise of the product and market
- Negotiate the best possible terms with suppliers i.e. margin, trade discounts, markdown support
- Ensure that Buying decisions are based on a sound commercial framework to drive sales and profits
- Work closely with the Merchandiser to plan the OTB and to monitor and review in season, taking action or making recommendations to the Buying Manager where necessary.
- Be responsible for range planning, working closely with the Merchandiser and Buying Manager
- Manage existing brands through analysis of performance, taking action when necessary and making decision to keep or discontinue within the business
- Manage pop up sites in conjunction with the retail calendar
- Manage the performance of concession businesses through regular meetings with the concession business and through analysis of their performance, making recommendations to the Buying Manager
- Be responsible for the ordering process within the area, ensuring compliance with all relevant processes
The Ideal Candidate
- Highly knowledgeable. You will have a well-developed understanding of the product/market
- Strategic and operational. With strong analytical skills and experience driving long-term and profitable commercial strategies, you’ll be able to successfully manage projects through to completion.
- Engaging. Able to influence your stakeholders, retail and brands, you know how to use both data and market trends to drive commercial opportunities
- Customer focused. Combined with exceptional taste and instinct, you are able to push the boundaries to offer new and exciting produce
- All over the numbers. You are numerate with a highly commercial approach, as well as proficient in excel
- Collaborative. Working flexibly as part of the wider Buying team you will support in projects and cross functional meetings as appropriate
- An example of our values, a trusted and respected colleague
About the Company
Our Creative Spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our Awards Cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
Everyone is welcome
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive working culture, and we see this as key to our success and our working culture. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome - irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all. We are diverse, we are inclusive, we are Selfridges.
The Fun Stuff
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development