Buyer - Childrenswear - Maternity Cover
Selfridges has always been much more than a shop. We’re a social space where everyone is welcome and feels a sense of belonging, a creative playground where culture and commerce collide, and an experimental hub where you can discover the most innovative and sustainable ideas in retail. We’re here to help make the world brighter. And you can be an important part of this. We’ll talk more about the role below, but before we get to that, let’s share with you the good stuff…
Rewards and benefits
Life at Selfridges is dynamic, exciting, and always evolving. As well as working with some of the most cutting-edge, iconic and boundary-pushing brands, designers and creatives, we also offer our team members opportunities to help make a positive difference through our network of communities, both within and outside Selfridges. Here are just a few of our rewards and benefits that help make our team experience that bit more extraordinary.
Flexible working options to benefit you, your family and your wellbeing that can include part-time, flexi-time, job sharing or working remotely
Generous annual leave that increases with length of service
Up to five paid volunteering days – from beach cleans to co-ordinating food and clothing donations
Family leave that suits your set up including Maternity, Paternity, Adoption, Surrogacy and Shared Parental leave policies
Defined pension contribution scheme
Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
Enviable team member discount including sale previews and double discount days
Exclusive local discounts on a range of restaurants, bars, beauticians and entertainment
Subsidised gym memberships
Annual travel pass and cycle-to-work schemes
A sustainable car salary sacrifice scheme
Several internal communities to get involved in from our Diversity Board and Green Warriors who are leading the charge on D,E&I and sustainability, to the Wellbeings who are always thinking of new ways to champion healthy minds, bodies and routines for our team members
Workplace Options, our confidential team member assistance programme for when life gets tricky or you need a little guidance
Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development
Read on to find out how you can play your part in Reinventing Retail…
As a buyer you will be responsible for our Childrenswear department. You will source new brands and product and negotiate the best terms for Selfridges, manage existing brands and work with marketing to drive sales and maximise profitability. You will manage and develop a team of two.
As Buyer you will:
- Source new brands and product in line with the strategy through knowledge and expertise of the product and market
- Negotiate the best possible terms with suppliers i.e. margin, trade discounts, markdown support
- Ensure that Buying decisions are based on a sound commercial framework to drive sales and profits
- Work closely with the Merchandiser to plan the OTB and to monitor and review in season, taking action or making recommendations to the Buying Manager where necessary.
- Be responsible for range planning, working closely with the Merchandiser and Buying Manager
- Manage existing brands through analysis of performance, taking action when necessary and making decision to keep or discontinue within the business
- Work closely with key stakeholders to support the Buying Manager (property, retail ops and VM) on masterplan projects
- Support the Buying Manager on key pop-up activations, and brand launches
- To be responsible for the ordering process within the area, ensuring compliance with all relevant processes
The Ideal Candidate
- Highly knowledgeable. You will have a well-developed understanding of the product/market
- Strategic and operational. With strong analytical skills and experience driving long-term and profitable commercial strategies, you’ll be able to successfully manage projects through to completion.
- Engaging. Able to influence your stakeholders, retail and brands, you know how to use both data and market trends to drive commercial opportunities
- Customer focused. Combined with exceptional taste and instinct, you are able to push the boundaries to offer new and exciting produce
- All over the numbers. You are numerate with a highly commercial approach, as well as proficient in excel
- Collaborative. Working flexibly as part of the wider Buying team you will support in projects and cross functional meetings as appropriate
- An example of our values, a trusted and respected colleague
About the Company
Everyone is welcome
Selfridges is a place where we want everyone to feel a sense of belonging. We embrace every self and are committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive working culture. We are leading with purpose to not only increase the visibility and recognition of under-represented talent within our organisation, but the wider industry too. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome – irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign. We were also recognised as a ‘Best 25 Big Company to Work For 2020’ as awarded by The Sunday Times.