Building Control Officer
Are you looking for a new challenge that gives you the chance to use your skills and expertise to support effective building controls at Selfridges? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
The Building Control Officer plays a critical role to ensure teams and contractors are working in line with their scope of works and in a safe manner. The role is there to support and enforce safe working practises, health and safety guidelines, and to ensure all Selfridges processes and procedures are being delivered. The role is there to protect our building and its assets as well as our people, teams and customers.
The Building Control Officer role provides 24 hour cover for the store working on a 4 on 4 off rota on shifts between 7 and 7 day and night. You will be the link between the work that happens in store (day and night) and how this is delivered and handed over to relevant stakeholders.
The role requires specific shift work.
Cover for the day shift or night-shift BCO positions for sickness or holidays will be required and would form part of your working hours. Depending on your shift, this may also include Bank Holidays (inclusive of Easter, Christmas and New Year).
As a Building control officer you will:
- Ensure that all works completed in the store are done in a safe, legal, and compliant manner, and in accordance with Selfridges rules and regulations.
- Restrict and control access to areas of the Store which are deemed ‘High Risk’ such as the roof, risers, confined spaces, HV rooms and sub-sub basement areas.
- Check above ceiling and behind walls, and any other key elements before they are closed up on sites for compliant installations.
- Control the Permit System to ensure appropriate Risk Assessments / Method Statements (RAMS) are completed for all works
- Ensure that all works have the appropriate RFI for Asbestos & Permits to hand and these are checked and validated
- Manage the Fire Alarm panel for the Store and attend to any urgent faults and action accordingly
- Review the BMS system and check any critical alarms are being dealt with
- Deliver inductions to new contractors to site / ensure they have received the correct written procedures
- Provide a daily report to the business on contractor activity and any issues that need to be addressed.
- Know, drive and support the management of our sustainability and carbon reduction targets.
- Check actions have been completed and closed out and also handover to the next shift any next steps
- Enforce processes and policy to protect our building, its assets, as well as our people, teams and customers.
- Become familiar with all the relevant drawings and written instructions, checking them and using them as a reference when inspecting the work
- Make visual inspections of works carried out and also works in progress
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders so you are involved in every project, churn and minor works that take place
- Take measurements and samples on site to make sure that the work and the materials meet the specifications agreed and works are of the necessary standards
- Be familiar with legal requirements and checking that the work complies with them
- Have a good working knowledge of health and safety legislation and bring any shortfalls observed to the attention of the person(s) concerned
- Develop and produce reporting for relevant stakeholders (FM, Project team, Property Director etc) on works being undertaken for them
- Attend meetings as required from concept and design through to build
- Be the custodian of each piece of work you own and see it through to handover
- Highlight any failings in H&S and bring these to the attention of the team
- Define a clear line between the contractor and you as a Selfridges representative
- Be familiar with current fire regulations & British Standards
The Ideal Candidate
- Preferably educated to degree level or have equivalent experience
- Preferably possess a M&E engineering qualification or equivalent experience
- Preferably NEBOSH / H&S qualified
- IT proficient in MS Office packages
- A membership of ICWCI or CIBSE – desirable not essential
- Fully competent in accepting handovers from projects of all sizes and managing checks on any snagging lists that are produced
- Able to handover fully between shifts or to another responsible person to ensure outstanding issues are handed over formally
- Experienced in working within a complex retail / hospitality environment
- Working in a luxury retail environment previously will be advantageous
- Understanding of listed & Heritage buildings and associated issues surrounding this, along with knowledge of any site restrictions
- Understanding of the building industry, including knowledge of materials, trades, methods and legal requirements
- Vigilant and persistent and be able to see a problem through to solution
- Able to work under pressure and to adapt to requests with short timelines
- Honest and vigilant to make sure that the work and materials meet the required standard
- Good in judgement, able to make decisions as to when to insist on corrections, when to persuade or negotiate, and when to compromise. Seen as a custodian of the buildings
- Leading by example by acting in a professional manner at all times including wearing personal protective equipment and the correct uniform when on a construction site, and in our stores and buildings.
- Keeping up to date with changes in construction methods, statutory legislation
- Excellent in communication and interpersonal skills at all levels to encompass senior management, consultants, team members and the public
- Able to absorb information and explore areas of the business outside of remit
- Passionate about the delivery of our sustainability and carbon reduction targets.
This job is a brilliant opportunity to join a close-knit and passionate team. If you’re looking to come into a new role and make a real impact, then this will be perfect for you.