Backend Software Engineer
We are transforming our Selfridges digital platform using the latest technologies and have an exciting opportunity for a Backend Engineer to join our rapidly expanding agile teams based in our London office.
Your vision and goal will contribute to shaping our technology and influence our future technical direction. You will take pride in the robust code you deliver with your team.
· Develop features and improvements across Selfridges in a secure, well-tested, and performant way
· Work with stakeholders (Product, Frontend, UX, etc.) to iterate on new features.
· Create code that’s maintainability and uses best practices that will work at scale.
· Maintain and advocate standards through code reviews.
· Consistently ship small features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members.
· Collaborate with the teams on larger projects.
· Help improving the quality of Backend features by identifying areas of improvements.
The Ideal Candidate
· Experience with production-grade backends. (TypeScript)
· Experience with operating high-performance solutions in the cloud. ( AWS )
· Experience with microservice architectures.
· Knowledge of consuming and providing APIs.
· Experience with databases, either relational databases or NoSQL (DynamoDB)
· Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems
· Have worked in a highly agile software development process
Nice to have:
· Knowledge of Infrastructure as Code. ( CDK )
· Knowledge of Domain-Driven Design and Event-Driven Architecture.
· Experience with Instrumentation and observability platforms.
· Working with modern software engineering tooling. ( GitHub, GitHub Actions and Artifactory, Jira, and Confluence )
About the Company
Our Creative Spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our Awards Cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
Everyone is welcome
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive working culture, and we see this as key to our success and our working culture. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome - irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all. We are diverse, we are inclusive, we are Selfridges.
The Fun Stuff
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development