Assistant Buyer - Toys
Are you looking for a new challenge in Selfridges that gives you the chance to support the Toys Buying team in sourcing brands and product? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career in Buying as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
As our new Assistant Buyer for Toys you’ll work with the Buyer to negotiate the best terms for the business with suppliers. As part of this, you will:
- Be responsible for buying for Toys for the business – ensuring thorough knowledge of product and market
- Negotiate the best possible terms with suppliers i.e. margin, trade discounts, markdown support, working with the Buyer and Buying Manager where appropriate
- Work with the Buyer and Buying Manager to ensure that Buying decisions are based on a sound commercial framework to drive sales and profit
- Work closely with the Buyer/Buying Manager and Merchandiser to plan the OTB for own area of responsibility and to monitor and review in season, making recommendations to the Buyer/Buying Manager where necessary
- Assist with range planning, working closely with the Merchandiser and Buyer/Buying Manager
- Work with the Merchandiser to analyse performance, making recommendations to the Buyer/Buying Manager i.e. to keep or discontinue within the business
- Communicate effectively with retail operations teams, particularly with regard to new season launches and product training
- Work closely with Marketing and PR and to be aware of promotional opportunities during negotiations with suppliers
- Be responsible for re-ordering, working within the OTB structure, ensuring decisions are communicated to the Administrator good time
- Carry out research into key trends and put together look books for the area
- Supervise the Administrator and monitor workload
- Work closely with VM to ensure product placement optimises the look and performance of the department
- Manage the performance of concession businesses through regular meeting with the concession and through analysis of their performance – making recommendations to Buyer/Buying Manager where relevant
You’ll be reporting into the Buyer as well as working closely internally with Merchandising, Retail Operations, Marketing and PR.
The Ideal Candidate
- Good understanding of the product/market
- Creative flair
- Numerate with highly commercial approach
- Organised with attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to influence
This job is a brilliant opportunity to join a close-knit team who are incredibly passionate about Buying the best products to surprise, amaze and amuse our customers by delivering extraordinary customer experiences. If you’re looking to come into a new role and make a real impact, then this will be perfect for you.
About the Company
Our creative spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
THE FUN STUFF
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development